Egg Muffins are a delicious and tasty breakfast, naturally low carb and easy to make ahead of time. We prepare these little egg cups with our favorite veggies or sausage or bacon (often using leftovers).
We make these easy egg muffins ahead of time and reheat them throughout the week for a perfect meal on the go!
Egg muffins are naturally low carb, keto friendly and easy to make! Just like Overnight Oats, they’re great to have in the fridge for a quick breakfast or lunch!
We prepare them on the weekend and heat them in the microwave for a minute. They’re perfect on their own if you’re looking for a low carb breakfast or tucked between a couple of pieces of toast or an english muffin.
How To Make Egg Muffins
These little egg cups are very simple to make. Breakfast egg muffins consist of meats, cheeses and veggies with eggs.
- Grease your muffin tin well (or they’ll stick) and add in your favorite toppings and a bit of cheese.
- Next combine eggs and egg whites. Egg whites make the texture a bit lighter (I use store bought egg whites in a carton).
- If you’d prefer to use whole eggs, replace the 1 cup of egg whites in the recipe and use 12 eggs total. (1 egg per cup).
- Bake and enjoy!
A Make-Ahead Breakfast Made Your Way
While these egg muffins contain turkey sausage and cheese, you can use any combination of ingredients you like! A few of my favorites include:
- ham & broccoli
- bacon or sausage, peppers and mushrooms
- spinach egg muffins with feta
- bacon, cheddar and green onion
- asparagus & brie
If you prefer a veggie egg muffin, skip the meat and add extra cooked veggies. We often use leftovers from the weekend to put in them and change up the cheeses depending on what we have on hand.
How Do you Store Egg Muffins?
Refrigerator: These egg muffins will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days for a quick and easy make-ahead breakfast on the go!
Freezer: If you’d like to keep them longer, I would suggest freezing your egg muffins. We place them in a freezer bag and lay it flat until frozen.
To Reheat Egg Muffins
To reheat egg muffins, simply microwave them for about 20 seconds or so from the refrigerator. If they’re frozen, they’ll need a bit longer about 60-90 seconds.
You can also reheat these in a toaster oven for about 10 minutes at 350°F.
As for these delicious egg cups, I prefer to eat them as is and my husband loves to put them on English muffins to make a sandwich. Either way, these little egg muffins are the perfect way to start your day!
More Breakfast Recipes You’ll Love
- Easy Quiche Recipe
- French Toast Casserole
- Overnight Refrigerator Oatmeal
- Mexican Slow Cooker Breakfast
- Overnight Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- Pumpkin Pancakes
Make Ahead Egg Muffins
- 1 lb ground sausage or ham
- 12 large eggs
- 1/2 red pepper diced
- 3 tablespoons minced onion
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brown turkey sausage over medium high until no pink remains.
- Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray. Divide the red pepper, onion, cooked sausage and cheeses over 12 wells.
- In a large bowl combine eggs, and salt & pepper to taste. Pour egg mixture over the sausage in each well.
- Bake 22-25 minutes or until set.
- Remove from cups and serve warm or let cool completely and refrigerate or freeze.
Looking for more quick and easy breakfast ideas?
Here are a few we love:
- Banana Breakfast Cookies
- Mango Berry Overnight Oats
- Overnight Breakfast Casserole with Sausage
- Overnight Breakfast Casserole with Bacon