Banana Cream Pie is an old-fashioned pie that everyone loves. A flaky pie crust is filled with fresh bananas and a rich creamy vanilla layer. It’s all topped off with whipped topping.
This dessert is best made ahead of time making it the perfect holiday treat!
A Homemade Pie Two Ways
Banana cream pie is a staple in my kitchen (along with a classic apple pie). I’ve made it several ways including from scratch with egg yolks, from scratch with whole eggs and an easy shortcut recipe.
Originally this recipe was posted with the egg yolk version and was later updated to include the whole egg version. While many readers have loved the from-scratch recipe, several of you struggled to get the pie set.
We took the recipes back to the test kitchen and have made 11 pies over the past 2 weeks and are unable to re-create the problem (in my kitchen as well as those of family and friends who have helped to test the recipes). We’ve tried everything from overcooking to undercooking and everything in between.
Here at SpendWithPennies.com, we are committed to sharing recipes that work in your kitchen as well as they do in ours. For this reason, we have updated the recipe below to include a shortcut version of banana cream pie.
For all of you who have loved and made the original from-scratch version, you can view and print the original from scratch banana cream pie recipe here or print the shortcut version below.
Crust for Banana Cream Pie
Graham Cracker Crust: A graham cracker crust doesn’t require baking. Store-bought graham crusts tend to be a bit thin and don’t hold up as well. Making a graham crust takes only about 5 minutes.
Pastry Crust: If using a pastry crust (either homemade or frozen from the store) you will want to blind bake the pie crust (bake it empty).
How to Make Banana Cream Pie (quick version)
- Bake the crust and cool completely.
- Prepare the filling (per the recipe below). Simply mix milk and pudding mix. Fold in whipped topping.o Assemble the Banana Cream Pie
- Fill the crust with sliced bananas and the filling mixture.
- Chill 4 hours or overnight. Decorate as desired and enjoy!
To Store Cream Pies
Once the crust is finished, this pie recipe requires no baking. It tastes best when served chilled so refrigerate at least 3-4 hours uncovered before serving!
- Refrigerator: You can keep it in the fridge up to 3 days, if you keep it too long, the bananas may get a bit weepy but it’ll still taste great!
- Freezer: Can Banana Cream Pie be frozen? Sure, you can freeze banana cream pie and it can be served frozen or partially frozen too.
The next time you’re planning a backyard barbecue or party, delight your family and guests with this light, refreshing dessert. It’s the perfect finish for any meal.
Delicious No Bake Pies
- Ultimate Coconut Cream Pie – deliciously fluffy!
- No Bake Key Lime Pie – Sweet, tart and delicious!
- No Bake Strawberry Pie – Summer perfect!
- Fresh Strawberries & Cream Pie – Zesty lemon filling
- Snickers Cream Pies – bite-sized snacks!
Easy Banana Cream Pie
- 1 pie crust baked
- 2 bananas plus extra for decorating
- 2 cups cold milk
- 2 packages instant vanilla pudding mix 3.5 oz each
- 2 cups frozen whipped topping thawed and divided
- Bake and cool pie crust per recipe directions.
- Slice bananas and arrange over cooled pie crust.
- Mix vanilla pudding mix and cold milk until combined. Rest 3 minutes to thicken. Fold in 1 cup of whipped topping.
- Spread pudding mixture over the bananas. Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Top with remaining whipped topping and decorate with banana slices and caramel or chocolate shavings if desired.
Originally this recipe was posted with a from scratch egg yolk version. While many readers have loved the from-scratch recipe, several of you struggled to get the pie set. We took the recipes back to the test kitchen and have been unable to re-create the problem.
Here at SpendWithPennies.com, we are committed to sharing recipes that work in your kitchen as well as they do in ours. For this reason, we have updated this to a shortcut version of banana cream pie.
For all of you who have loved and made the original from-scratch version, you can view and print the original from scratch banana cream pie recipe here or you can print the easy banana cream pie listed above.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)