Lemon Blueberry Cake is a sweet and refreshing way to enjoy those end-of-summer blueberries. Plump fresh blueberries are baked in lemony sweet coffee cake and topped with a zesty lemon glaze and freshly whipped cream!
What’s in Lemon Blueberry Cake?
Much like a lemon blueberry bread, this cake is made with real blueberries that pop with flavor, pure butter, and bright, citrusy lemons that all come to together to make this delicious from-scratch recipe. This easy recipe is a bit like a poke cake as once its baked, we poke holes in it and drizzle it with a fresh lemon glaze. The glaze adds a bold lemony flavor to every bite.
Serve topped with dollop of freshly whipped cream or a sprinkle of powdered sugar.
To Make Lemon Blueberry Cake
Only the freshest flavors of lemon and blueberry are mixed together in this easy cake!
To Make the Cake:
- Zest & juice lemons.
- Combine butter, sugar, and eggs (per recipe below) and whisk dry ingredients together in a separate bowl.
- Add the flour and milk alternately to butter mixture. Then fold in blueberries carefully so they stay whole!
- Add to prepared pan and bake.
Baking Tip: Tossing fruit with a bit of flour before adding to a batter keeps it evenly distributed and can help keep the color from bleeding.
While the cake is baking boil sugar and fresh lemon juice. Poke the cake with the end of a wooden spoon or even a chopstick while still warm.
Drizzle with the lemon glaze and let it cool completely. The lemony flavor will seep into every morsel keeping the cake moist and delicious!
This lemon blueberry cake is the perfect pair to a coffee or dessert date with friends. Just cut generous slices and serve with whipped cream and a cup of coffee!
How to Tell When a Cake is Ready
Aside from the amazing aroma, the best way to tell if the lemon blueberry cake is done is by inserting a wooden pick in the center after it’s done baking. If the skewer or pick comes out clean, it’s done!
How Long Will Blueberry Cake Last?
As long as it stays covered, the lemon blueberry cake will last about a week. It can be frozen too as long as it is fully cooled! Don’t forget to label and seal it tight!
Have Your Cake & Eat It Too!
- Yellow Cake – delicious old fashioned cake!
- Texas Sheet Cake – moist & decadent
- Classic Coffee Cake – scrumptious breakfast!
- Best Ever Chocolate Cake – rich & delicious
- The Best Carrot Cake – quick & incredibly moist!
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake – ready in 35 mins
Lemon Blueberry Cake
- ¾ cup butter softened
- 1 ¾ cups sugar divided
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 2 lemons divided use
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 cups whipped cream or whipped topping
- Zest and juice lemons and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease and flour a 9x13 pan.
- Cream butter and 1 ½ cups sugar on medium speed until fluffy. Add eggs and mix well.
- Whisk flour, lemon zest, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Combine milk and 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
- Alternate adding the flour and milk mixture to the butter mixture. Toss blueberries with 1 tablespoon flour. Gently mix into batter.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake 30-35 minutes or just until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, bring remaining ¼ cup sugar and ¼ cup lemon juice to a boil, boil 1 minute and set aside to cool slightly.
- Remove cake from the oven and poke cake with a skewer or chopstick. Drizzle holes with lemon glaze. Cool completely.
- Once cooled top with whipped cream or whipped topping.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)