This Cherry Pie Recipe has all the summer vibes! Homemade buttery and flakey pie crust with a sweet cherry filling bursting with juiciness from baked cherries. Not only is the pie absolutely delicious, but it’s also so EASY to make!
Homemade Cherry Pie
Nothing beats a homemade pie from scratch and this cherry pie is a keeper for sure! This butter pie crust is so easy to make and foolproof! The crust is so crispy and holds up well, yet is flakey and tender. When combined with the simple cherry filling, it’s a combination the whole family will love.
Cherry pies are the best when cherries are in season, just like a Peach Cobbler during peaches season.
Tips for How to Make Cherry Pie
- Make sure that the butter is COLD! I like to cube the butter and put it back in the refrigerator until I am ready for it.
- The water should be iced water, not room temperature water. To be sure your water is cold enough, add some ice cubes to the water and measure it from there.
- Have the filling ready before you roll out the pie crust. You want to prepare the pie as quickly as possible.
- While this is a fresh cherry pie recipe, you can easily substitute the fresh cherry filling for canned pie filling if desired.
How to Make Cherry Pie Filling
This homemade cherry pie filling recipe is so easy to make. To make prep even easier you can pit the cherries in advance or use a cherry pitter! If you don’t have a cherry pitter, use a straw or chopsticks to remove the pits.
To make the filling:
- Remove cherry pits and cut about 1/3 of the cherries in half.
- Combine cherries, lemon juice, sugar, cornstarch (acts as a thickener), and a little bit of vanilla.
When using sweet cherries, add a 1/2 cup of sugar. If using sour or tart cherries, or you prefer a sweet cherry pie, feel free to add more sugar accordingly. If you prefer a more sour cherry pie, cut back on the sugar.
Can I Freeze It?
Yes! The cherry pie may be frozen before or after baking. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap. The pie will keep up to 3 months.
I can’t wait for you to give the best cherry pie recipe a try!
Deliciously Fruity Desserts
- Black Forest Cherry Cheesecake – tasty no bake dessert!
- Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler – perfect balance of sweet & sour
- Blueberry Lemon Bread – melt in your mouth delicate
- Peaches and Cream – simple & delicious with a hint of cinnamon!
- Sweet Bread Recipe – made with a sweet jam filling!
Homemade Cherry Pie Recipe
- 2 1/3 cups all purpose flour sifted
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks cold unsalted butter cubed (1 cup)
- 1/3 cup ice water
Cherry Pie Filling
- 5 cups cherries pitted
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1 Tablespoon coarse sugar optional
- In a large bowl, combine sifted flour, salt, and sugar.
- Using a pastry cutter, mix the cold cubed butter into flour mixture until crumbly.
- Slowly add in ice water and continue to mix with the pastry cutter. Don’t overmix, it should be crumbly.
- Transfer onto working surface and shape into 2 disks. Cover the disks with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour (or overnight).
Cherry Pie Filling
- Pit the cherries. Cut about 1/3 of cherries in half (if desired). Combine with lemon juice, vanilla, sugar, and cornstarch.
Assemble Cherry Pie
- Roll out the pie crust until about 12” circle and transfer into a 9” pie pan. Pat down the pie crust to lay evenly along the pie pan, with some crust hanging over the edges.
- Add the pie filling into the pie crust.
- Roll out the second pie crust. Create the desired design on the pie crust. Place on top of the pie filling.
- Pinch together the leftover edges along the sides of the pie. Seal and flute the pie edges.
- Brush the pie with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar (if desired)
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F for 30 minutes. Turn down heat to 350°F and bake for an additional 30-35 minutes. If the top of pie begins to brown and the bottom isn’t done baking, cover pie loosely with foil until the bottom is done baking.
- Cool pie, slice and enjoy with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.