Chocolate Banana Bread
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Chocolate Banana Bread – forget Double Chocolate Banana Bread, we are making Triple Chocolate Banana Bread! Deliciously decadent and easy to make, it’s so good you’re going to start buying extra bananas to ripen just so you can make this!
How to Make Chocolate Banana Bread
If you like chocolate, you’re definitely going to LOVE this Double Chocolate Banana Bread with an extra layer of chocolate on top! Made with loads of cocoa, filled with chocolate chips, and drizzled with a chocolate topping, this recipe takes chocolate chip banana bread to a whole new level.
- Do not overmix. Over mixing the batter will make your bread dense and chewy. Fold the wet/dry mixtures by hand just until combined.
- Grease and flour your pan (and double check you’re using the correct sized pan asked for in the recipe).
- Bake quick breads on the middle rack of your oven.
- Insert a toothpick in the middle about 10 minutes before you expect the bread to be done to test for doneness. Overbaking will cause a dry loaf.
- Quick breads can be frozen up to 3 months in a freezer bag or sealed container. (If desired, glaze once defrosted)
Chocolate Banana Bread Ingredients
This recipe contains Half and Half. Half & half is a dairy product sold in most North American supermarkets. It is made up of half cream and half whole milk and will be found in the dairy case. You can generally substitute any light cream in its place (approximately 10-12% MF) or create your own mixture using heavy cream and milk.
My Triple Chocolate Banana Bread recipe also uses regular cocoa powder, not Dutch-processed cocoa powder. There is a difference between the two, Dutch-processed is not acidic and doesn’t react with the ingredients the same way as regular cocoa.
Last Minute Tips
Be sure to check your chocolate banana bread at 45-50 minutes to make sure it doesn’t over bake! If you aren’t freezing your banana bread, you’ll want to store it sealed in the refrigerator. If you prefer nuts in your chocolate banana bread, nuts (such as walnuts) can be substituted for the chocolate chips in this recipe.
More Banana Recipes You’ll Love
- The Best Banana Cake – Reader favorite! An easy banana cake topped with cream cheese topping.
- Homemade Banana Pudding – Perfect for potlucks, this pudding is best made ahead of time.
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Bread – So moist, perfect to use up garden zucchini!
- Easy Banana Bread Recipe – EASY! This is one of the quickest banana bread recipes!
- Banana Pancakes – Family favorite
This banana bread is chocolatey delicious with with double chocolate inside and a chocolate topping!
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 small bananas mashed (approx. 1 1/3 cups)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup half & half
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar packed
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 tablespoons chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease & flour a 9×5 loaf pan.
Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and baking powder in a large bowl. Set aside.
Cream butter and sugars together until fluffy. Stir in eggs and bananas. Add banana mixture and chocolate chips to flour mixture. Stir just until combined.
Bake 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Heat half & half and brown sugar over medium heat until brown sugar has dissolved and tiny bubbles start to form on the edges. Stir in vanilla and butter until melted and turn off heat. Add chocolate chips and do not stir, let sit 2-3 minutes.
Whisk chocolate chips until smooth. Cool completely and drizzle over bread.
A serving is calculated as a 1 inch slice.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
Adapted from allrecipes
More great ways to enjoy ripe bananas: