Chicken Burritos are a quick and easy dinner that everyone loves! Shredded chicken is mixed with a flavorful blend of chilis, seasonings and fire-roasted tomatoes. Wrap everything in a soft flour tortilla and bake or pan-fry.
What’s in Chicken Burritos?
Almost anything can go in your chicken burrito filling – get creative! Store-bought or leftover rotisserie chicken, pre-made sauce and pre-shredded cheese make it easy! Fire-roasted tomatoes add a lot of flavor, you could substitute diced tomatoes with green chiles if you’d prefer.
I’ve kept this recipe simple with chicken and cheese but refried beans,Tex Mex Rice, diced tomatoes… anything goes!
How to Make Chicken Burritos
Making chicken burritos is as easy as 1, 2, 3!
- Shred cooked chicken (or leftover baked chicken).
- Cook the burrito filling ingredients in a skillet over medium heat, add the chicken and stir thoroughly (per recipe below).
- Scoop equal amounts of chicken mixture into each burrito and sprinkle with cheese.
Now that the burrito filling is complete, it’s time to fill and wrap. Fold the burrito to keep the insides from falling out! Place in the casserole dish with the seam side down, spoon salsa over top and bake.
How Long Will They Last?
These burritos will last tightly covered for 4 days in the fridge. To refresh them, place in a different dish, add a little extra salsa and cheese and reheat in the microwave!
How to Freeze Burritos
Chicken burritos can easily be frozen, be sure they are fully cooled first.
- To freeze, chill burritos in the fridge overnight and then wrap individually in plastic wrap (before covering with salsa) or foil. Place them in a zippered bag with the date on it.
- To thaw, set in the fridge overnight or use the defrost setting on the microwave and then reheat!
More Tortilla Wrapped Favorites
- Instant Pot Chicken Tacos – easy weeknight dinner
- Creamy Chicken Enchiladas– baked to perfection!
- Green Chili Recipe – filled with flavor
- Favorite Beef Burritos – freezer-friendly meal!
- Easy Chicken Fajitas – fresh, easy & delicious!
- 6 flour tortillas 12"
- 1 jar salsa 16 ounces
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese shredded, divided
- 1 rotisserie chicken small
- 2 cans green chilies diced, 4 ounces
- 1 can fire-roasted tomatoes diced, 24 ounces, or canned tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Preheat oven to 400°F and spray a 9x13" casserole with non-stick spray, set aside.
- Remove skin from chicken and pick the meat off in bite-size pieces. Place into a bowl.
- Set a 12" skillet over medium heat, add burrito filling ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Cook the burrito filling mixture until it’s warm, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the chicken and stir to combine. If there is a lot of moisture in the skillet keep cooking over medium just until the water cooks off.
- Add an equal amount of chicken to the center of each burrito and top them equally with 1 ½ cups of the shredded cheese (reserve ½ cup).
- Roll them up burrito style and set them seam side down in the prepared casserole dish. Spoon the salsa over the burritos and top with remaining shredded cheese.
- Add the dish to the oven and bake for about 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the burritos are warm throughout.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!