Making bread is a trend that’s “on the rise,” and this easy recipe yields loaf perfect for dipping, sandwiches, or toast and jam! No yeast required!
If making homemade baked bread isn’t in the schedule but the bread box is empty, we’ve got you covered! Beer bread makes a perfect crusty loaf in about an hour, using just 5 ingredients!
Why We Love Beer Bread
Beer bread requires no yeast (except for the yeast already found in beer.) So “no knead” to look any further! (Pardon the half-baked puns, we’re on a roll today!)
In all seriousness, this bread really requires no kneading, and no rising time.
With just a few ingredients, it’s super simple. Or, get creative and add in honey instead of sugar, or even cheese and bacon to customize!
Ingredients & Variations
Flour: This recipe uses self-rising flour to make it quick and easy.
No self-rising flour on hand? No problem, I’ve included directions for all-purpose flour too!
Beer: Adds to both the leavening and the flavor profile of this bread. Dark beer yields deeper flavors, while light beer makes for a lighter-tasting bread. Both are great, just use what you have on hand!
Flavorings: This beer bread is a terrific recipe to experiment with since it’s practically fool-proof.
- Try adding in some shredded cheese, or add extra honey to make a sweetbread!
- Chopped jalapenos or chilies will spice things up!
- Rosemary, sun-dried tomato, and olive oil for an Italian style bread!
How to Make Beer Bread
Super simple and always successful, this is one bread that doesn’t require a long turnaround!
- Combine wet and dry ingredients (per recipe below).
- Spread into a greased loaf pan.
- Bake and enjoy.
Tips for Success
- Can children eat beer bread? Unless it’s an allergy concern, it shouldn’t be a problem. Most, if not all of the alcohol cooks out, leaving behind the yeasty and savory flavors.
- Mix the dough well, but don’t go crazy. Unlike making bread with yeast, too much mixing may make it too dense.
- Don’t skip the salt & sugar and don’t skimp on the butter or the bread will not have any flavor.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Watch carefully and don’t overcook it.
- Keep bread tightly wrapped or in an airtight container on the counter to prevent it from drying out.
More Quick Breads
- Homemade French Bread
- Irish Soda Bread
- Homemade Cornbread
- Bacon Cheddar Garlic Bread
- Bubble Pizza Bread
Did you love this Beer Bread? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Classic Beer Bread
- 3 cups self-rising flour or all purpose flour with baking powder, see notes
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 12 ounces beer room temperature
- 1/3 cup butter melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease an 8"x4" loaf pan.
- Place flour and sugar in a bowl and whisk very well.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake 50-60 minutes.
- Cool before slicing.