Homemade Pizza Sauce is the perfect addition to all of your pizza creations and also great as a dipper. This recipe is so easy to make and has the best flavors of garlic, onion, tomato, and savory herbs.
Make ahead in large batches, you will reach for it again and again!
How to Make Pizza Sauce
For the best results, use quality ingredients whenever you can (fresh onions and garlic too)!
- Soften: Sauté onion and garlic over medium heat until tender and fragrant.
- Stir: Add crushed tomatoes and tomato paste and stir until smooth (per recipe below).
- Simmer: Add remaining ingredients and simmer until the sauce is thick.
Remove from heat and use immediately or save some for cooling and freezing!
More Uses For Pizza Sauce
A good, basic pizza sauce can be used for a variety of different things!
- On top of pizza dough of course but you can also use it to make mini pizzas out of bagels, toast or bread.
- As a dip for bread sticks, pizza bites or your favorite appetizer recipes.
- Spooned over meatballs, topped with mozzarella and baked. Serve with crusty bread or crostini.
- Add it to your favorite vegetable soups or beef stew.
Also, you can pour pizza sauce into an ice cube tray and have little cubes of tomato-y flavor for soups, sauces, or when sautéing veggies or meat for a little punch of savory flavor!
This sauce freezes beautifully and that’s what makes it such a keeper!
- Once the batch is made (or two, or three!) allow it to cool. Then ladle into freezer bags with a zip top.
- Label with the date and lay flat on the bottom of the freezer.
- After about 24 hours, store upright (think like books in a bookshelf) and save a ton of freezer space!
- Homemade pizza sauce should last about 6 months in the freezer.
To Thaw, simply put one of the bags in the fridge or set it in the sink and let thaw naturally. Reheat, and adjust for flavor (a little salt and pepper)!
Homemade Pizza Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup onion finely minced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 8 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- Cook onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes and tomato paste and stir until smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook 30 minutes or until thickened.
More Pizza Inspiration
- Bubble Pizza Bread – just 3 simple ingredients!
- Pizza Bagels – quick and easy
- Pizza Waffles – easy, cheesy and so good!
- Margherita Pizza – simple & delicious
- Pizza Grilled Cheese – great for dipping!
- Pizza Baked Tortellini – easy one-pan dish