Jalapeno Cheddar Bread is an easy cheesy bread recipe with just a hint of heat!
Cheddar cheese and fresh jalapenos are added to a simple bread dough recipe and baked until browned!
Soft, fluffy, and full of flavor, this tasty bread, is perfect for dipping in soup, serving with butter, or making a delicious sandwich!
Easy to Make Bread Recipes
It seems like everyone is baking bread these days, myself included!! While baking bread can seem somewhat intimidating, I can assure you it’s easy!
This cheese bread recipe is just one of many amazing recipes found in the Ready, Set, Dough Cookbook.
The author of this book, my good friend Rebecca, ensures ANYONE can successfully make a loaf of beautiful homemade bread, even if you’re just getting started!
Just like her recipes over at Foodie with Family, the instructions are clear and straightforward.
The minute I set my eyes on this recipe, I knew I had to make it, and (just like this book) it has become a staple in our kitchen!
The Ready, Set, Dough Cookbook has twelve basic dough recipes with endless options available for each dough (making you a bread master in no time)!
It is perfect for beginner bakers with easy to follow recipes from sweet bread to bagels, pizza and yummy garlic knots.
Ingredients & Variations
While the basic instructions for baking bread need to remain the same for a good rise and perfect texture, the ingredients for cheesy jalapeno bread can be switched up to make an entirely different loaf every time!
CHEESE While the flavor of sharp cheddar cheese is the perfect balance to the spicy jalapenos you can switch it out for your favorite cheeses. Try a spicy pepper jack cheese for an extra kick!
JALAPENOS We love the spiciness that diced jalapenos bring to this bread but to tone down the spice be sure to remove all seeds (that’s the extra spicy part) before folding it into the dough.
Still too spicy? Try diced green chilies in place of the jalapenos. Or add some chopped black olives for color and a dash of red pepper flakes for zest!
So many different combinations, don’t be afraid to experiment!
How to Make Jalapeno Cheddar Bread
Homemade bread is easy to make!
- Prep: Mix the dough and allow it to rise for about two hours.
- Mix-Ins: Divide in two, roll out each loaf, cover with cheese, and jalapenos and roll-up.
- Rise: Place into prepared pans, top with cheese, and jalapenos, and allow to rise about 30 minutes.
- Bake: Bake and allow to cool completely before serving.
This bread stands alone as a snack with butter or cream cheese, but it can also really pump up the flavor and presentation of a sandwich or jalapeno popper grilled cheese!
For spicy croutons, cut slices into cubes and toss in a large bowl with olive oil. Bake croutons at 300°F for about an hour! Toss some in soup or top onto a salad for the best croutons ever!
Tips for Success
For perfect loaves of bread every time, the first part of making the dough is the most important step.
- Use lukewarm water to help in activating the yeast when it’s added to the other ingredients.
- Mixing, kneading, and resting will yield a consistent rise, even texture, and the add-ins will be evenly distributed throughout the loaf.
Follow these tips to ensure the loaves are fully cooked without overcooking and don’t crumble while slicing.
- Test for doneness by tapping on the top of the loaf after it comes out of the oven. It should have a hollow sound.
- Let the bread cool before removing it from the loaf pans gives it time to firm up before slicing.
Must-Try Bread Recipes
- Easy Beer Bread – no yeast required
- Quick No-Fail Pizza Dough
- Homemade French Bread – made with pantry staples!
- Cheesy Garlic Breadsticks!
- Challah Bread – beautiful braided sweet bread
- 30 Minute Dinner Rolls
- Irish Soda Bread – quick & easy to make!
- Cheese Bread (Quick Bread)
- Homemade Focaccia Bread – dip in olive oil
Did you enjoy this Jalapeno Cheddar Bread? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Jalapeno Cheddar Bread
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese grated & divided
- 3 small to medium jalapenos stems removed sliced into 1/8" sliced rounds, divided
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups semolina flour
- 3 teaspoon instant yeast
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- Add the dough ingredients to a large mixing bowl or stand mixer bowl and stir with a sturdy wooden spoon until a shaggy but cohesive dough forms.
- Knead by hand or with the dough hook on a stand mixer until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Scrape the bowl clean with a dough scraper, form a tight round of dough, and return it to the bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 2 hours.
- Spray two loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray and set them aside.
- Divide the dough into two pieces. Working with one piece of dough at a time, pat into an oval, then use a rolling pin to roll it into a rectangle that is approximately 8 x 14 inches (20 x 36 cm).
- Sprinkle one-third of the grated cheese and one-third of the jalapeño rounds over the rectangle.
- Roll it up from a short side, keep the dough tight against itself, trying to avoid stretching it further. Pinch the seams, tuck the ends under, and place seam-side down on the prepared pan. Repeat with the second piece of dough.
- Toss the remaining grated cheese and jalapeño slices together and distribute evenly over the tops of the two loaves
- Cover with a damp tea towel and let rise in a warm, draft-free place until puffy, about 30 minutes.
- While they rise, preheat the oven to 400°F. Bake the loaves for 25 to 30 minutes, or until deep golden brown and firm on top.
- Let the bread rest in the pans for 3 minutes after removed from the oven before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- Cool completely before slicing and serving!
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)