Everything bagel seasoning will give any toasted or baked bread the same fabulous pop of flavor you get from the bakery version.
This blend of seeds, aromatics, and salt is tasty and incredibly easy to make.
What’s In Everything Bagel Seasoning?
This recipe includes a balanced mix of the ingredients that combine to produce a delicious flavor:
- Seeds – Sesame and poppy seeds are critical to making a classic everything bagel topping. Baking or toasting releases the aromas, giving bread or anything they are added to a nutty richness, without overpowering.
- You don’t want to over bake or toast them, so use them raw in this recipe if you plan on using it on baked goods (like dinner rolls).
- Aromatics – Dried onion and garlic flakes are essential. They provide that concentrated burst of pungency that makes everything bagels super delicious.
- Salt – Use kosher or coarsely ground salt for crunch and flavor. If using regular table salt, reduce the amount by 1/2 and taste.
Want to make your own signature “everything-and-then-some” bagel seasoning? Here are some other ideas:
- Herbs: Dried herbs, such as rosemary, thyme, oregano, or ground pepper
- Cheese: Parmesan sprinkle cheese or your favorite shredded cheese
- Seeds: Toasted caraway, cumin seeds, or popped mustard seeds
- Other Add-Ins: Finely diced sun-dried tomatoes, bacon bits
Whatever tastes good to you is the real secret to making the best everything bagel seasoning!
How to Make Everything Bagel Seasoning
Nothing could be quicker than making this tasty homemade blend. Absolutely zero prep or cleanup!
- Measure all ingredients into a jar or zip lock baggie.
- Shake or stir and store.
Everything bagel seasoning will keep for up to six months. Store tightly covered in a glass or plastic jar in a cool cupboard or pantry.
What to Use Everything Bagel Seasoning For?
This tasty seasoning blend can be used for so many other things than just a topping for bagels.
- Sprinkle it on toast or on top of bread loaves or sticks before baking. Or, add it into the bread dough as you’re kneading it. It will jazz up canned biscuits and crescent rolls too.
- Stir this blend into sautéed veggies or oven fried chicken to amplify the flavor. Remember the salt is already in the blend, so take care not to over-salt the dish.
- Incorporate it into spreads or dips such as hummus or everything bagel dip! You can lightly toast or sauté it first to unlock all those yummy aromas and flavors before mixing it into anything that won’t be cooked.
- If you want to dress up plain bagels that have already been baked, brush the tops with egg white and press into the blend before toasting flat side down. Or, you could top it with homemade everything bagel butter.
It’s easy to double or triple this recipe. This everything bagel seasoning is a versatile staple you may find yourself reaching for again and again!
Everything Bagel Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons onion flakes
- 2 teaspoons garlic flakes
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Seal and store up to 6 months.
1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
add black sesame seeds for color
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
Staple Pantry Seasonings
- Fajita Seasoning – combo of classic Mexican herbs & spices
- Homemade Ranch Seasoning – great in dressings or dips!
- Italian Seasoning – easy & versatile seasoning
- Chicken Seasoning – packed with fragrant & savory herbs!
- Homemade Taco Seasoning – easily control the spice!