Pappardelle is a long pasta that pairs perfectly with a hearty Italian sausage sauce.
This recipe uses both fresh and canned tomatoes to create a rich zesty sauce similar to a Ragu or Bolognese (a tomato-based meat sauce). While it takes a bit of time, it’s definitely worth it because the flavor is amazing.
What is Pappardelle?
Pronounced ‘pa-par-DAY-lay’, pappardelle pasta originates from the Tuscan region of Italy and it’s one I learned to make by hand in an olive grove in Italy!
It is a wide flat noodle, similar to fettuccine (but much wide). Pappardelle is a hearty pasta so it’s perfect for heavier sauces (and also goes great with a mushroom sauce).
This sauce is incredibly rich and delicious.
TOMATOES/PEPPERS Fresh tomatoes are roasted with bell peppers, onion and garlic. Red bell peppers add some sweetness to balance the acidity from the tomatoes. The canned tomatoes add great texture.
MEAT Italian sausage is seasoned and has lots of flavor. Try making your own using this easy homemade Italian sausage recipe!
If you substitute another ground meat (like beef), you’ll want to add some extra seasonings.
The extra step of roasting the tomatoes and peppers is so worth the flavor it adds. Start with the veggies and while they’re roasting brown the meat.
How to Make Sauce for Pappardelle
- Toss tomatoes, red peppers, and onion with olive oil and seasonings (per recipe below). Roast in the oven until tender.
- While the vegetables are roasting, brown the sausage in a skillet and drain off the fat.
- Add the remaining sauce ingredients (including the roasted vegetables) and simmer.
- Cook pasta in salted boiling water until ‘al dente’ (to the bite). Drain, but reserve 1 cup of the pasta water.
- Toss pappardelle with the meat sauce, adding pasta water as necessary. Garnish with fresh chopped herbs and grated parmesan cheese.
More Meaty Favorites
- Quick and Easy Sausage Pasta
- Crock Pot Spaghetti Sauce
- Easy Homemade Lasagna
- Easy Meat Sauce
- Easy Stuffed Manicotti
- Easy Baked Ziti
- Fusilli with Meat Sauce
Did your family love this Pappardelle with Sausage? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Pappardelle with Italian Sausage
- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes fresh
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning divided
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 28 ounces canned whole tomatoes with juices
- 14 ounces canned tomato sauce
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped
- ¼ cup fresh basil chopped
- 16 oz pappardelle
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Chop tomatoes, bell pepper, and onion into 1" pieces. Toss with garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning.
- Spread in a single layer on a foil-lined pan and roast 20 minutes. Stir and turn oven to broil. Broil 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender and have some light browning on the edges.
- While vegetables are roasting, brown the sausage in a large saucepan. Drain fat.
- Add canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, ½ cup water, and remaining Italian seasoning. Stir in roasted vegetables with any juices.
- Bring sauce to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 1 hour or until sauce reaches desired consistency (add more water if needed).
- Cook pappardelle in salted water according to package directions until al dente. Drain well, reserving 1 cup of pasta water.
- Stir in parsley & basil into the sauce. Toss pappardelle with meat sauce, add pasta water if needed to reach desired consistency. Top with additional herbs if desired.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)