Salisbury Steak is one of our favorite comfort foods! Tender beef patties smothered in a rich onion and mushroom gravy, this one-pan Salisbury steak dish is super easy to make and loaded with flavor!
Salisbury Steak – A Family Favorite
Homemade Salisbury steak is one of our favorite easy home cooked recipes! While you can definitely make Salisbury Steak in the Slow Cooker, this quick and easy version is ready in about 30 minutes so it’s perfect for a weeknight!
Once cooked, we serve this over Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes, egg noodles, rice or even Mashed Cauliflower! Add in a side salad or some steamed broccoli and you’ve got a perfect meal your whole family is going to absolutely love!
This Salisbury Steak recipe has been a favorite forever and was among one of the very first published on the blog way back when (below is the original photo).
What is Salisbury Steak?
Salisbury Steak is a dish that has been around for years and years. It usually consists of a homemade hamburger patty smothered in a rich and flavorful brown gravy! I love to add onions and mushrooms to the gravy to add in extra flavor!
Difference Between Salisbury Steak and Hamburger Steak?
We tend to use the terms interchangeably, although some think there is a difference between Salisbury Steak and hamburger steak. Technically a hamburger steak should contain only meat (and seasonings) with no fillers such as breadcrumbs while a Salisbury steak does include different ingredients like onions, eggs and bread crumbs (similar to a meatloaf).
I’ve seen many Salisbury steak and Hamburger steak recipes, and for the most part, I think that both tend to be made the same way if cooked in a gravy mixture.
How To Make Salisbury Steak
One great thing I love about this homemade Salisbury steak is that it’s quick, easy, and needs just one pan to cook the patties and the gravy!! How to make Salisbury steak? There’s really nothing to it.
- Softening onions/mushrooms over low heat
- Combine the beef mixture and form patties (you can use frozen or store bought hamburger patties if you prefer.
- Browned on each side and cook in the gravy mixture until perfectly tender
I keep my gravy simple and while some people make Salisbury steak with french onion soup or mushroom soup, I prefer to get the flavor from real onions and mushrooms! Serve this easy recipe over a pile of perfect mashed potatoes.
More Ground Beef Recipes You’ll Love
- Salisbury Steak Burgers – Great for leftovers too!
- Ground Beef Stroganoff (Hamburger)
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Dorito Taco Salad
- Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Casserole – Make Ahead!
- Stuffed Peppers – Family favorite!
Mushroom Salisbury Steak
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/4 cups mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 1 10 1/2 ounce can condensed beef broth
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/3 cup water
- Place butter in a frying pan with onions. Cook over medium heat about 5 minutes ensuring onions don’t brown. Add mushrooms and cook until all liquid is absorbed.
- In a bowl combine beef, 1/4 cup of the broth, egg, pepper and Panko bread crumbs. Mix well and form 6 patties.
- In another small bowl, combine remaining broth, flour, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, mustard powder and water. Mix well.
- Remove mushrooms/onions from the pan. Place beef patties in the pan and brown on each side (about 2 minutes). Place onions/mushrooms on top of patties and pour broth mixture over top. Cover and let simmer 20 minutes or until done. Serve with mashed potatoes!
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)