Ground Turkey Stuffed Peppers combine meat, veggies, and a tangy tomato sauce all in one dish!
As much as we love classic Stuffed Peppers, we love this lean healthy version too! Easy, colorful, and loaded with healthy ingredients, they’re a low-carb way to stay within the limits of your budget and your nutritional needs!
Healthy Stuffed Peppers
- This recipe swaps out ground sausage or beef for turkey to cut back on fat and calories.
- Brown rice gives a boost of fiber.
- Stuffed peppers are easy to make and can be prepared up to 24 hours ahead of time.
- We add zucchini but you can add in your own favorite vegetables.
VEGETABLES Peppers are hollowed out and stuffed with onions, and zucchini, a can of tomatoes, and a zesty marinara sauce simmered with Italian seasonings. Green bell peppers are more earthy while colored peppers are sweeter. Either would work in this recipe.
MEAT Use a savory mix of ground turkey, or if preferred swap for ground chicken or beef.
RICE Use brown rice for extra health and texture, or feel free to use white rice or protein-rich quinoa! Try using farrow, barley, buckwheat…when it comes to whole grains, the possibilities are endless.
How to Make Ground Turkey Stuffed Peppers
It’s super easy to make these tasty stuffed peppers!
- Brown meat with onion & garlic, simmer with the filling mixture.
- Fill each prepared bell pepper & cover with sauce.
- Cover with foil & bake, basting peppers with sauce.
- Top with shredded cheese & bake until the cheese has melted.
- Leftover stuffed peppers taste even better the next day!
- Keep them in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat them in the microwave and enjoy!
Savory Stuffed (& Unstuffed) Peppers
- Easy Stuffed Peppers – a reader fave
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Crock Pot Stuffed Peppers – easy & delish
- Taco Stuffed Pepper Casserole – a hearty & comforting dish
- Unstuffed Peppers – budget-friendly
- Air Fryer Stuffed Peppers – so savory & cheesy
Did you enjoy these Ground Turkey Stuffed Peppers? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Ground Turkey Stuffed Peppers
- 4 small bell peppers *see note
- 1 pound ground turkey or chicken
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small zucchini diced
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes lightly drained
- 1 ½ cups cooked brown rice
- 2 ½ cups marinara sauce divided
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ¾ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ cup light mozzarella cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut the peppers in half, top to bottom. Remove seeds and membranes, discard. Microwave the peppers for 2-3 minutes or until slightly softened. *see note
- In a large skillet brown turkey, onion, & garlic over medium-high heat until no pink remains. Drain any fat. Add chopped zucchini and cook 3 minutes more.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes with juice, rice, ¾ cup marinara sauce, tomato paste, and Italian seasoning. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Place 1 cup of marinara sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Arrange peppers over sauce. Fill each pepper with the meat mixture. Spoon remaining marinara sauce over peppers.
- Cover with foil and bake 25 minutes. Remove foil, baste peppers with any sauce in the bottom. Top with cheese and bake an additional 10 minutes.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.