A Summer Salad is packed with fresh seasonal produce and always a welcome addition to the dining table!
Use fresh veggies to create a new Summer salad every meal! I love a simplified salad with fresh greens, pops of colorful and crunchy veggies, cheese, a handful of seeds or nuts, and then dressed in a light vinaigrette dressing.
A Simple Summer Salad
- Healthy salads are the ultimate supper recipe. Serve them as side dishes or add proteins like cooked chicken or bay shrimp and serve them as an entrée salad.
- The dressing comes together with 5 ingredients in less than 5 minutes! Use this Dijon-based vinaigrette as a marinade, too.
- Save time with a prepackaged ‘Spring Mix’ blend and ready-made prepped veggies. Make ahead and chill until ready to dress and serve!
Mix it Up
Just like when building a tossed salad, try to incorporate different flavors, textures, and colors into a salad!
Add crunch (seeds/nuts), something rich or salty (bacon/cheese), fresh and juicy (tomatoes/cucumbers), bold (onions/herbs/olives). Mix it up with each meal (and find our best salad dressing recipes here).
GREENS: Leafy, curly, and colorful salad varieties like arugula, baby spinach, kale, endive, and romaine can be mixed and matched for flavor and visual appeal.
VEGETABLES: Cucumbers, radishes, onions, and tomatoes give this salad color, crunch, and texture. Add other veggies like corn, green beans, beets, alfalfa sprouts, broccoli, or cauliflower florets.
DRESSING: Vinaigrettes always start with a base of acid (like vinegar or lemon juice) and oil. Lemon juice and Dijon mustard give this one a tangy flavor. Switch it up by adding other seasonings like garlic powder, onion powder, or even this easy DIY Italian blend.
PRO TIP #1: For the best flavor, toast seeds (or nuts) in a dry sauté pan until fragrant. This burns off extra oil, intensifies their flavor, and makes them extra crunchy!
PRO TIP #2: Tear lettuce instead of cutting to prevent the edges from browning.
Summer salad can be different every time with tasty add-ins!
- Nuts & Seeds: Sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, or slivered almonds bring the crunch.
- Fruits: Summer salads are great with the addition of peaches, berries,
- Cheese: Crumbly cheeses like bleu cheese, feta, Cotija, and gorgonzola give Summer salad a creamy element.
- Protein: Try grilled shrimp or chicken or sprinkle the salad with any combo of drained black beans, garbanzo, kidney beans.
- Other flavorful Additions: Garnish with croutons, olives, herbs (like fresh basil).
How to Make Summer Salad
Summer just wouldn’t be the same without a crisp and veggie-filled salad.
- Combine greens, cucumber, radishes, and red onion in a large bowl.
- Add the desired amount of dressing & toss (as per the recipe below).
- Sprinkle the remaining ingredients on top and serve immediately.
Keep leftover Summer salad covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Toss well before serving.
Fresh greens will renew the salad! Keep the dressing separate in a salad dressing cruet or a mason jar for up to a week.
More Favorite Summer Salads
From watermelon salad to a fresh pasta salad recipe, there is no end to fresh meals in the summer months!
- Veggie Salads: Great for enjoying produce from the garden or a local farmer’s market. Try a Caprese salad, cobb salad, summer corn salad, Greek salad, or Cucumber Tomato Salad.
- Pasta Salads: These are hearty and can be enjoyed as a potluck side dish or a cool summer meal! Favorites include my famous dill pickle pasta salad, orzo salad, Greek or Italian pasta salads.
- Potato Salads: The perfect side to burgers, hot dogs, or bbq chicken.
- Sandwich Salads: Great to put in a picnic basket on bread or serve over a bed of lettuce. Try our fave egg salad, a classic chicken salad, or a ham salad sandwich (these are mayo-based, be sure to keep them chilled)!
Did you make this Simple Summer Salad? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Fresh Summer Salad
- 6 cups mixed salad greens
- ½ English cucumber sliced
- 6 radishes thinly sliced
- ¼ cup red onion thinly sliced, or to taste
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 medium avocado sliced
- 2 ounces feta cheese crumbled
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds
- 1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- For the dressing, combine all ingredients except the olive oil in a small bowl. While whisking, drizzle in the olive oil until well mixed.
- Combine the greens, cucumber, radishes, and red onion in a large bowl. Add the dressing (you may not need all of it) and toss well to combine.
- Sprinkle the remaining ingredients on top. Serve immediately.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!