Creamy Chicken Enchiladas are filled with tender shredded chicken and cheese, wrapped tortillas and smothered in a sour cream sauce. Pure comfort!
This dish is cheesy, creamy, and absolutely satisfying. It’s easy to make and quite literally my favorite meal (along with Homemade Mac and Cheese of course)!
This meal is also known as white chicken enchiladas or green chile enchiladas because the sauce contains sour cream mixed with a green enchilada sauce (instead of a traditional red enchilada sauce).
This dish is traditionally made with corn tortillas however if you prefer flour tortillas, you can certainly use those! To avoid the tortillas cracking when rolling them, heat them first. I place them directly on a low flame on my gas stove to char the edges a bit and add great flavor!
The addition of cream cheese and Monterey jack make these extra creamy. Any cheese you love works well in this reicpe.
How to Cook Chicken for Enchiladas
Shredded chicken makes the best chicken enchiladas, so start with chicken breasts or thighs (boneless or bone-in will work). I often cook big batches of CrockPot Shredded Chicken to keep in the freezer for recipes just like this!
Season bone-in chicken breasts or thighs (or both) and bake at 350°F for 45-55 minutes (depending on the size of the chicken) or until it reaches 165°F. Remove from the oven and shred using two forks.
How To Make Chicken Enchiladas
Once the chicken is cooked and shredded, you’re ready for the rest of the meal:
- Make Sauce: Combine sour cream & green enchilada sauce.
- Make Filling: Saute the onion, garlic and poblano pepper until softened. Stir in the shredded chicken, cream cheese & canned green chilis.
- Fill Tortillas: Briefly heat the tortillas, either in a non-stick pan, over a gas flame or in the oven (this keeps them from cracking). Fill and roll.
- Bake: Top with remaining sauce and cheese, and bake uncovered.
These Creamy Chicken Enchiladas are also great made into a chicken enchilada casserole in the oven. Layer the ingredients instead of baking and cook uncovered for an hour, at 350°F. Enjoy!
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Beef Enchilada Dip – great for a crowd
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup – easy and delicious
- Beef Enchilada Casserole – family favorite!
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchiladas Recipe – so easy
- Slow Cooker Shredded Beef – Perfect for Tacos or Enchiladas
- Veggie Enchiladas – perfect for a meatless meal
Did you enjoy these Chicken Enchiladas? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!
Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 1 poblano pepper or ½ green pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 4 ounces mild green chiles undrained
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded
- ¾ cup sour cream divided
- 2 cups green enchilada sauce divided
- 1 ½ cup monterey jack cheese
- ¼ cup cilantro finely chopped, optional
- 10 corn tortillas 6" (or flour tortillas)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook onions, peppers, and garlic in olive oil until softened. Add cream cheese, green chiles, and cumin. Stir until melted. Stir in chicken and ¼ cup sour cream & ¼ cup enchilada sauce.
- Combine remaining ½ cup sour cream with enchilada sauce. Spread ½ cup of sauce mixture in the bottom of a 9x13 pan.
- Gently heat or fry tortillas (I heat mine over the gas stove to add a smoky flavor).
- Add 2 tablespoons cheese to each tortilla. Top with 3 tablespoons chicken mixture and a small sprinkle of cilantro. Roll and place seam side down in the pan. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Top with remaining enchilada sauce and cheese.
- Bake 20-25 minutes uncovered. Rest 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
Can You Freeze Chicken Enchiladas?
Sure you can! These Chicken Enchiladas can be made ahead frozen for another day! I find the best method is to prepare and roll as directed with the exception of the sour cream sauce. Place the green enchilada sauce in a separate container and add sour cream once defrosted (the little bit in the filling will be fine). Defrost both in the refrigerator overnight.
To bake, combine the sour cream with the enchilada sauce. Pour over the enchiladas and bake as directed.