Grilled Asparagus is a summer treat, perfect along side any steak or barbecued chicken dish! This easy recipe elevates a traditional grilled asparagus by adding a touch of parmesan cheese and a squeeze of grilled fresh lemon… easy enough for an everyday meal and amazing enough to wow your guests!
Asparagus is definitely one of my all time favorite vegetables. It’s a summertime treat and perfectly grilled until tender crisp, steamed with a touch of butter (or even a runny yolked egg on top) and makes any meal seem just a little bit fancy!
I’m a huge fan of grilling everything in the summer from steaks and chicken breast to veggie skewers and pizza. I love the fact that I don’t have to turn the oven on and even more so, I love the flavor you get from grilling pretty much anything!
Of course, asparagus is so delicious on it’s own with just a touch of salt and pepper, however, there is a little secret that takes this dish to the next level! When putting the asparagus on the grill, I also slice the lemon in half lengthwise (from tip to tip) and add it to the grill too! This adds a very slightly smoky flavor to the lemon but the main reason I grill the lemon is that it really seems to mellow out the acidity. The results are a deliciously tangy lemon flavor that’s just slightly less acidic… the perfect compliment to your grilled asparagus. While I grill these directly on my barbecue grate, you can certainly place them on a grill pan or tray if you prefer.
Tips for Cooking Asparagus on the Grill
Grilled asparagus is easy but here are a few of my favorite tips for this recipe:
- When buying asparagus want to choose bright green stalks with tightly closed tips.
- Store asparagus in a bag in the refrigerator with the ends wrapped in damp paper towel to keep it fresh longer.
- When preparing asparagus, hold the bottom end with one hand and the middle of the stalk with the other end and snap off the bottom. The asparagus will naturally break where the woody section starts on the bottom, discard the bottom portion.
- Thicker asparagus is easier to grill to tender crisp than thinner asparagus however thinner spears are more tender.
- To get a little bit of char without overcooking the asparagus, medium-high heat is best.
Because this takes only minutes to prepare, I usually take my steaks off to rest for a few minutes and then put the asparagus on. You’ll want to have your parmesan ready to go so you can sprinkle it on the asparagus as soon as it comes off the grill, this lets it melt slightly.
Lemon Parmesan Grilled Asparagus
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great recipes!
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 1 lemon , cut lengthwise
- 3-4 tablespoons fresh grated parmesan cheese
Preheat grill to medium high.
- Wash asparagus and break off the ends. Toss with olive oil & seasonings.
Place lemon halves and asparagus on the grill 6-8 minutes turning half way.
Remove lemon & asparagus from grill and immediately top with parmesan cheese. Squeeze grilled lemon over top and serve warm.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
More Recipes You’ll Love