This Honey Mustard Chicken breast recipe is an all time favorite for me! Tender juicy chicken breasts marinated in a flavorful honey mustard marinade and served with a delicious sauce.
This recipe makes for a killer chicken sandwich on a toasted roll. We serve sliced honey mustard chicken over a salad or next to some roasted potatoes and vegetables for the perfect healthy dinner!
Grill to Juicy Perfection
Making grilled chicken breasts provides a delicious smoky exterior while retaining the juices and this recipe is no exception. Boneless chicken breasts (or thighs) make the best grilling chicken as they’re lean and really quick to make.
If your chicken breasts are really thick, you can pound them to make them a little bit thinner and more even. Cook over medium heat for about 5-7 minutes on each side (this can vary based on thickness) or until they reach an internal temperature of 165°F. For lean meats, I always use a thermometer to make sure they are cooked perfectly.
How To Make Honey Mustard Chicken
To make this delicious honey mustard chicken recipe:
- MIX: Mix the honey mustard sauce ingredients together. Set aside 3 tablespoons of the honey mustard sauce for later.
- MARINATE: Marinate the chicken breasts for about 4 hours in the fridge with the remaining honey mustard sauce. I find that it’s easiest to do this in a freezer bag turning it every now and then.
- GRILL: Grill the chicken breasts over medium heat for about 5-7 minutes on each side (this can vary based on thickness).
The reserved sauce gets mixed with a little bit of mayonnaise for a topper so good I could literally drink it. Don’t skip it, I promise it won’t disappoint!
What Goes With Honey Mustard Chicken
Serve grilled honey mustard chicken over rice, on a freshly chopped salad, or with other delicious veggies like steamed broccoli or even Grilled Asparagus.
This is a great recipe for meal prep for the week, I chop it up with some lettuce and other delicious veggies. Pack a little honey mustard vinaigrette on the side and toss it when you’re ready to eat!
More Grilled Recipes You Need this Summer
- Grilled Chicken Cordon Bleu – another great grilled chicken recipe
- Grilled Bacon Jalapeno Poppers – an easy appetizer
- Hobo Dinner Foil Packets – Family favorite
- Grilled Bacon Wrapped Corn – the best side ever
- Easy Grilled Chicken Breast – simple and delicious
Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken
- 6 boneless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise or dressing
- ⅓ cup dijon mustard
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 ½ teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Mix together Dijon, honey, soy sauce and lemon juice.
- Remove 3 tablespoons of the Honey Mustard Sauce and set aside.
- Mix the chicken breasts with the remaining marinade and let sit up to 4 hours in the fridge
- Preheat the grill to medium and grill the chicken 6-7 minutes per side or until juices run clear and the chicken reaches 165°F.
- Add 3 tablespoons of mayo or dressing to the reserved 3 tablespoons Honey Mustard Sauce
- Drizzle over chicken breasts and enjoy!
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
Absolutely a great recipe!
I had to bake it in the oven, and it was fabulous!
Fabulous! This has become a family and friend favorite.
Really good!!! The sauce is amazing. I lower the soy sauce to 1 teaspoon. Very good.
I tried this recipe last night and it was… OMG… so yummy! And it was quick and easy. I baked the scrumptious chickies in the oven at 400F for 20 minutes (finished temp was clocked at over 165F – they were seriously tiny breasts). I also loved the sauce over the top, which made its way (accidentally?… nope) into my rice/onion/potato side dish. YUMMMMM!!!
Glad you enjoyed it, Julie! One of my favorite parts is when the sauce ‘accidentally’ makes its way onto my sides lol
Love this recipe make all the time
Do you think it would work with boneless skinless chicken thighs
I think thighs would be great in this recipe!
This has become a regular in our family of 7. Everyone loves it! The sauce is delicious and I always double it. I serve it with fresh roasted veggies and a side salad. When weather is not suitable for grilling, I use a stove top grill pan and it’s just as good.
LOVE this. Will be making the sauce again and use it as a salad dressing!
my family loved the honey mustard chicken when I made this. Now make it frequently!
If I bake it instead of grilling what temp should I set the oven n for how long ?
I’d bake at 400F. You’ll want to ensure your chicken reaches 165 degrees. You’ll find all of the baking details on the Oven Baked Chicken Breasts post. Enjoy Haley!
Holly, thank you for many great recipes. I stumbled upon your site last week and have tried several. I haven’t been this impressed with other recipe websites. Thank you so much, talented gal!
Nancy, you have made my day! Thank you so much for stopping by to give feedback!
This was sooo delicious! Had my mom over for supper and definitely impressed her!
I am so glad that your family enjoyed the recipe Samantha!
How many lbs of chicken
About 2.5-3lbs chicken breasts.