Home Fries are a go-to side dish for breakfast or even for dinner served with our favorite Meatloaf Recipe! Nothing says comfort food like the savory home-cooked goodness of fried potatoes.
Home Fried Potatoes are a simple breakfast staple, tender yet starchy potatoes cooked in butter until crisp on the outside.
How to Make Home Fries
No need to peel your potatoes for this home fries recipe! Keep it rustic and just cut Russet potatoes into rough cubes before boiling in water. Russets are the best choice for home fries because they are firmer and reheat better than standard white or red potatoes.
Boiling the potatoes for a few minutes before frying (while the onion is cooking) makes the potatoes perfect every time! You don’t want to fully boil them, just soften a little. Be sure to cut them small, about 1/2″ to 3/4″ cubes.
I keep them simple with onions and potatoes but you can add peppers, fried mushrooms or even toss in leftover veggies!
To Cook Home Fries
- Boil the potatoes a few minutes until they are tender enough to poke with a fork.
- Heat some butter (or better yet, bacon grease!) and cook the onions until tender.
- Season the potatoes with seasoned salt and pepper and add to the pan.
- Cook until crispy and golden brown.
Serve warm with some ketchup or tabasco or even melted cheese! For a different twist, why not try cooking up a batch of sweet potato home fries? The same recipe applies to sweet potatoes, too! Home fried potatoes can also be the perfect starter to a breakfast hash!
More Easy Potato Recipes
- Homemade Shredded Hashbrowns – perfect for breakfast
- Scalloped Potatoes and Ham – Creamy comfort food!
- Twice Baked Potatoes – Make ahead and cook right from frozen!
- The BEST Mashed Potatoes – Dreamy, creamy and delicious!
- Potatoes Au Gratin – The perfect side dish along with ham!
- Easy Oven Roasted Potatoes – Easy and delicious, serve with steak or Stuffed Chicken Breast!
How to Reheat Home Fries
IF there’s any leftovers, right? Reheating in the microwave is a cinch, but it can cause the texture of the potatoes to change.
Baked home fries in the oven will restore their crispy crunch. Just spread out on a sheet pan or in a casserole dish, sprinkle on a little extra salt and pepper and reheat at 350°F for about 15 minutes. Voila!
Easy Home Fries
- 3 medium russet potatoes about 1 ¾ pounds
- 3 tablespoons butter divided
- 1 onion diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- pepper to taste
- parsley for garnish
- Scrub potatoes (peel if desired) and cut into ¾" cubes.
- Place potatoes in a pot of cold water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, let cook about 4-6 minutes or until slightly tender when poked with a fork. Drain potatoes well.
- Meanwhile, melt 1 tablespoon butter and onion in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook onion until tender. Remove onion from pan and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter and olive oil to the pan. Add potatoes, seasoned salt and pepper. Cook until golden stirring occasionally, about 15-20 minutes adding more butter if needed.
- Add onions back to the pan and cook an additional 2-3 minutes. Serve warm.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)