Twice Baked Potatoes are one of my family’s favorite side dishes. A baked potato shell is stuffed with light fluffy mashed potatoes, cheese, and of course – bacon!
Twice Delicious, Twice Baked Potatoes
I love Baked Potatoes topped with all the toppings, sour cream, bacon and cheese… so naturally I love these stuffed baked potatoes too!
Twice Baked Potatoes are as easy to make as they are yummy! Potatoes are the ultimate comfort food whether they’re baked, fried or made into delicious mashed potato cakes. They’re the perfect addition to a delicious Slow Cooker Corn Chowder and the star of the dish in Au Gratin Potatoes!
To make mealtime extra easy, I like to prepare twice baked potatoes ahead of time and simply refrigerate them for dinner that night (and then freeze any extras for another night).
How to Make Twice Baked Potatoes
It is just too easy to pop these stuffed potatoes in the oven while prepping the rest of your meal. They only need about 30 minutes to heat through and let the cheese become perfectly melty while the tops are delicately browned.
While this may taste like a fancy dish, how to make twice baked potatoes is actually really easy. You’ll start by simply baking your potatoes (or even making Baked Sweet Potatoes) and allowing them to cool slightly (I do mine in the microwave to save time).
Next, cut each potato in half lengthwise and hollow out each half. Be sure to leave a bit of a shell so the skins don’t break or crack. Mash the insides and stir in the add-ins for the perfect filling. Of course, you can spoon the filling into the shells but I like to place it in a freezer bag and snip off the corner to pipe it into the shells.
The mashed potato filling is easy to make; here are a few simple tips that can make this twice baked potato recipe perfect!
Tips for Perfect Twice Baked Potatoes
- While any potato will work, Russet or baking potatoes hold up best in this recipe.
- Cold potatoes can get gummy when whipped or mashed, it’s best to use warm potatoes.
- If you use a mixer instead of using a potato masher you can get fluffy whipped potatoes. Overmixing will cause your potatoes to become gummy and gloppy.
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper for easy clean up.
- Often sour cream and butter provide just enough moisture, be sure to check your potatoes before adding all of the liquid.
- Once your potato skins are stuffed, you potatoes can be frozen or refrigerated. Freeze individually on a baking sheet and once solid you can store them in a zippered bag. To bake frozen potatoes add an extra 15-20 minutes to the baking time.
It really is true that potatoes are one of nature’s superfoods. They are packed with vitamins and nutrients while are so versatile and delicious, it so no wonder they are loved by so many people! These easy Twice Baked Potatoes are perfect for feeding your family or a crowd and delicious alongside any steak or grilled chicken meal!
More Potato Recipes You’ll Love
- Potatoes Au Gratin – Reader favorite!
- The BEST Mashed Potatoes
- Baked Potato Soup – Great for leftover potatoes!
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheddar Baked Potatoes
- Duchess Potatoes
- Oven Roasted Potatoes – Side dish staple!
Easy Twice Baked Potatoes
- 6 small russet potatoes
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (or milk)
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon sliced chives (or green onions)
- 6 pieces of bacon cooked crisp and chopped or 3 tablespoons bacon bits
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese , divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Wash potatoes and poke with a fork. Bake potatoes in oven 1 hour or microwave until soft. Allow to cool slightly.
- Slice each potato in 1/2 lengthwise. Scoop out the pulp of the potato leaving a 1/8" shell.
- In a bowl, mash potatoes, sour cream, butter, garlic powder, salt and pepper until smooth. Add butter milk as needed to create a creamy texture. Stir in chives, bacon and 3/4 cup cheddar cheese.
- Fill each skin with the mashed potato filling and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.