Hearty Sausage Potato Soup is filling, comforting, and so easy to make!
It is chock full of potatoes, sausage, seasonings & fresh veggies! It’s effortless to put together, simply place the ingredients in the crock pot and let the slow cooker do all of the work!
Why We Love this Soup
Versatile: Sausage Potato Soup is so versatile. Don’t have sausage? Add ground beef! If you’re running low on fresh veggies, just throw in some canned or frozen veggies of your choice!
Easy: This crock pot soup recipe is so easy, it practically cooks itself! Toss in all the ingredients, then walk away. In a couple of hours, dinner will be ready and the house will smell wonderful!
Budget Friendly: Crockpot Sausage Potato Soup is budget-friendly and super hearty. Even those big appetites will be satisfied with a bowl of this filling soup!
Fresh ingredients are simmered in a crockpot to create this flavorful soup!
VEGGIES This recipe uses onions, carrots, celery, cabbage, corn, tomatoes, and potatoes.
Stretch this dish even further by adding any other veggies you have on hand! Cabbage can be replaced with coleslaw mix.
MEAT Slices of smoked sausage add a nice smoky flavor! Italian sausage, ground beef or chicken, or even mini meatballs would all be delicious in this recipe!
SEASONINGS A handful of spices give this soup the perfect flavor. For extra spice try adding some red chili flakes!
BROTH I love using beef broth in this soup, but chicken or veggie broth will work great too!
How To Make Sausage Potato Soup
This recipe will be ready in no time at all. Just chop some veggies, set and forget!
- Saute onions in butter with celery, garlic, and sausage.
- Add remaining ingredients to crockpot, except tomatoes & cornstarch.
- Add tomatoes & cornstarch (per recipe below), cook until slightly thickened.
Tips for Perfect Sausage Potato Soup
- Pick the right potato!
- Russets have a high starch content and taste wonderful in meat soups! However, they may fall apart if cooked for too long.
- For a slightly lower starch content, go for Yukon Gold potatoes, classic and perfect for soups and stews!
- Small white, red, blue, and fingerling potatoes or “wax potatoes” hold their shape well during cooking, and look pretty, too- especially if the skin is left on.
- Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave. For the microwave method, be sure to use a plate cover, so the veggies don’t spatter!
- To freeze, ladle into freezer-safe containers, leaving about an inch at the top for expansion or use freezer bags. Ladle soup into zippered bags and freeze flat.
- Frozen sausage potato soup will stay safe for consumption for longer than 3 to 4 months, but may lose some flavor and texture after that, so be sure to label with the date.
Other Hearty Soup Recipes
- Beef and Macaroni Soup – homemade comfort!
- Potato Soup – creamy & delicious
- Chicken Noodle Soup – classic & made from scratch
- Ham and Potato Soup – a family favorite
- Chicken Tortellini Soup – cozy & full of flavor!
Did you love this Sausage Potato Soup? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Crockpot Potato and Sausage Soup
- 1 onion diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 pound smoked sausage sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 large potato peeled and diced
- 3 cups cabbage chopped
- 1 1/4 cup corn
- 4 cups low sodium beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes with juice
- 1-2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Cook onion, butter, garlic, celery and sausage in a frying pan until onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add all ingredients, except tomatoes and cornstarch, to the crockpot. Cook 4-5 hours on high or 8 hours on low or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in tomatoes with juices and cornstarch and cook 10 minutes more.
- Discard bay leaf and season with salt & pepper to taste. Serve with sour cream if desired.