Potato and Sausage Soup is a budget friendly meal with lots of flavor! Tender smoked sausage is combined with onions, potatoes, carrots, and cabbage and simmered in a flavorful broth.
This soup reheats well for the perfect meal all week long!
How to Make Sausage Soup
This soup is as easy as can be, but it is still hearty and delicious!
- Sauté the onion, garlic, and celery in butter (per recipe below).
- Simmer Add vegetables, broth, water, bay leaf, and other seasonings and simmer uncovered.
- Stir in tomatoes (including the juices) and simmer another 10 minutes.
Remove the bay leaf and season with salt and pepper.
What to Serve with Sausage Soup?
Add some fresh greens with an easy kale salad with fresh lemon dressing for a bright and tangy side! You can also serve a side of raw veggies like carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, and zucchini rounds with french onion dip.
Leftovers will keep in the fridge for 4-5 days and reheat well in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Most soup recipes and stews can be easily frozen however soups with potatoes don’t freeze well. The potatoes tend to break apart and may have a grainy texture once thawed.
If you plan to freeze this soup, skip the potatoes and add extra celery and carrots (or cook the potatoes on the side). You can freeze this with the potatoes too of course, just keep in mind the texture may change slightly.
More Hearty Soups
- Chicken Tortilla Soup – favorite easy recipe
- Homemade Lentil Soup – full of hearty vegetables
- Crockpot Potato and Sausage Soup – filling & comforting
- Beef Barley Soup – complete meal in a bowl
- Taco Soup Recipe – 30-minute meal
- Creamy Potato Soup – a creamy favorite
- Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef Soup – hearty and healthy
Potato and Sausage Soup
- 1 onion diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ pound smoked sausage sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 large potato peeled and diced
- 3 cups cabbage chopped
- 4 cups low sodium beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon dried dill
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes with juice
- 1-2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Cook onion, butter, garlic, celery and sausage in a soup pot until onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes, carrot, cabbage, broth, water, bay leaf and seasonings. Simmer uncovered 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in tomatoes with juices and cornstarch and simmer 10 minutes more.
- Discard bay leaf and season with salt & pepper to taste. Serve with sour cream if desired.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!