Making condensed chicken soup is a breeze with this DIY recipe!
This recipe can replace a can of soup in casseroles and more without all the extra sodium and preservatives. It is creamy and flavorful too!
Easy Condensed Chicken Soup
Condensed soups are the perfect addition to recipes. They’re creamy, rich and add lots of flavor.
While we often reach for a can of soup to make chicken casserole, it’s easy to make at home. Perfect if you’re low on stock (or want to use ingredients you know)!
Ingredients & Variations
Cream of chicken soup is perfect to replace almost any “cream of” soup (although it’s easy to make cream of mushrooms soup too).
BROTH Chicken broth is the natural choice for the base of this soup. Do not use low sodium, the salt is needed for full flavor in this recipe.
MILK Feel free to switch out the evaporated milk for light cream (or half and half). You can use milk in a pinch but it won’t be as creamy!
CHICKEN I add a tiny bit of minced chicken to this recipe but it isn’t required if you don’t have it on hand. The flavor comes from the chicken broth.
How to Make Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
Just 2 easy steps to make this delicious cream of chicken soup right at home!
- Put all of the ingredients in a saucepan and whisk thoroughly.
- Heat until thickened.
Stir in minced or shredded chicken if desired and use it in your favorite recipe like this easy chicken divan!
The key to making this velvety smooth is to start with a cold saucepan. Add all the ingredients and whisk them while the pan is heating up. This gradually cooks everything at the same time and prevents any lumps.
Tips for Storing
- Refrigerator storage: To store condensed cream of chicken soup, keep it in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- This recipe does not freeze well.
Recipes Perfect for this Condensed Soup
Instead of canned try making these recipes with homemade condensed cream of chicken soup!
- Classic Chicken Pot Pie
- Easy Chicken Noodle Casserole
- Chicken Roll-Ups
- Copy Cat Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole
Did you like this Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 ¼ cups evaporated milk you can use regular milk in a pinch, it just won't be quite as creamy
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 4 tablespoons corn starch
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons cooked chicken very finely chopped
- Combine all ingredients except butter and chicken in a cold saucepan and whisk well.
- Place over medium heat and continue whisking until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter. Season with salt & pepper to taste and stir in minced chicken if using.
- Store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!