Marinated and grilled, this Cilantro Lime Chicken recipe makes chicken that is juicy on the inside and crispy on the outside!
Cilantro lime chicken is marinated in zesty lime, lots of garlic, and fresh cilantro. This easy recipe needs little prep and few ingredients but it’s loaded with big flavor.
An Easy Grilled Chicken Recipe
We love grilled chicken breasts or thighs and this cilantro chicken is next level for flavor. Quick and simple, perfect for those busy nights or summer barbeques!
- With just a few ingredients, this recipe has big flavor.
- No grill? No Problem! This dish can also be made in the oven as well making it the perfect meal all year.
- Double up the marinade and use it to dress as salad as well.
- It has lots of flavor and the leftover chicken is great in tacos or even added to a tossed salad.
Easy Fresh Ingredients
Chicken – Boneless skinless chicken thighs are juicy and flavorful when grilled. This recipe can also be made with chicken breasts or bone-in chicken thighs or breasts, just adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Cilantro Lime Chicken Marinade – Marinades serve to tenderize as well as flavor the meat, and this marinade is as easy as it gets! It’s a simple combination of lime juice, lime zest, cilantro leaves, and a hint of seasonings. Toss in some jalapenos or extra red pepper flakes for a spicy kick!
How to Make Cilantro Lime Chicken
This recipe is crazy easy.
- Mix the marinade in a bowl or freezer bag per the recipe below.
- Add the chicken and marinate at least 30 minute or up to 2 hours.
- Broil, bake or grill.
Garnish with lime wedges and cilantro.
- This chicken goes well with any kind of rice (cilantro lime rice is a favorite or keep it low carb and serve with cauliflower rice).
- Add in a flavorful side dish like Mexican corn salad, avocado salsa, and tortilla chips
- Simply serve with boiled corn on the cob.
Tips for Success
- Allow chicken to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Fresh lime juice is best in this recipe, the flavor of bottled lime can be bitter.
- The best way to tell if the chicken is fully cooked is to use a meat thermometer, it should reach 165°F.
- Leftover chicken is great in a sandwich or sliced over a bed of lettuce for a tasty next-day-at-work salad!
More Grilled Chicken Favorites
Did you make this grilled Cilantro Lime Chicken? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Cilantro Lime Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless chicken thighs or breasts
- 1 lime for serving
- ¼ cup cilantro fresh, minced plus extra for garnish
- 2 tablespoons lime juice fresh
- 1 ½ tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a small bowl.
- Pour marinade over chicken and let marinate 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- Preheat grill to medium high heat.
- Cook chicken on an oiled grate for 7-8 minutes. Turn over and cook an additional 7-8 minutes or until chicken reaches 165°F.
- Rest 5 minutes before serving. Serve with lime slices and additional chopped cilantro.
- The marinade can also be pulsed in a blender a couple of times if you prefer.
- Allow chicken to marinate at least 30 minutes. Due to the high amount of citrus in this recipe, don’t marinate longer than 2 hours.
- Fresh lime is best in this recipe, the flavor of bottled lime can be bitter.
- Optional add-ins: add 1 teaspoon of chili powder and/or 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper to the marinade to add a little bit of heat.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
Not a huge fan of it, chicken came out juicy and cooked well but flavor was not what I was expecting.
Delicious!!! I make this at least once a month…it is so GOOD!!!!
I am so glad you are loving this chicken recipe Hollie!
I love this recipe. Done it with thighs so many times but today I’m trying it on wings
Delicious! Although I cooked mine in the air fryer. I shredded it up after and made hardshell tacos. And with leftovers the next day I made a nice salad definitely tasty and easy clean up
Tangy-tasty and juicy, Holly! I did ours in the air fryer due to summer heat. Came out great. Used your suggestion of serving with boiled corn on the cob, a perfect side. It was a nice summer dinner to have out on the patio with a glass of pinot grigio :) Thank you!!
Glad it was a hit Jackie!
I have just made the coriander lime chickend for the past two days, and my comuniments go to the cook! It is absolutely beautiful and very moreish and I will definitely make this again!
This is so full of flavor. Eating low carb, so I used monk fruit instead of the honey. Absolutely delish and I will be adding this to my meal planning. Yum
Thanks for the tip on the sweetener Julie. So glad you loved it!
Such an easy and delicious recipe. We loved it. Thank you
So glad you loved it, Linda!
your recipes are easy and super delicious
I’m so glad you’ve loved them Victoria! Thank you for following. :)
Do you marinate at room temp or in the fridge?
We marinate chicken in the fridge.
Sounds delish! My husband can’t eat honey. Can you suggest a sub? Love your recipies. Thanks, Holly
Hi Bee, we have only made this recipe as listed but you could maybe maple syrup in place of the honey. We would love to hear how it turns out for you!
A repeat favorite here. Going on the grill later today! I don’t alter a thing. Thank you!
Except for making extra marinade. Lol.
I’ve used this recipe about 40 times so I decided it’s time to leave a review! My kids call this Mexican chicken and it’s one of their favorites. Chicken is juicy and tender, so good.
Thank you so much for coming back and leaving a review! So glad your family has loved this recipe.
This is so GOOD!!! It is our new favorite recipe.
I added extra honey and used chili powder.
I can’t wait to make it again.
LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS WEBSITE!
Thanks, Shona! :)
The marinade was tasty; however, there wasn’t enough marinade for 2 lb chicken. I would also use way more than 2 tbsp lime juice. I grilled the chicken after marinading 2+ hrs. I’ll make it again.
This chicken recipe is delicious! It was easy to marinade and from the grill, it was crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. Very flavorful! I served it with Jasmine rice and corn on the cob.
This recipe was easy and tasty!
This is amazingly good…and very easy.
Thank you so much for your continued efforts – Spend With Pennies is a joy to visit…I’m here every day for inspiration and ideas!
Keep up the good work.
Thanks Jonathan! Glad you are enjoying our recipes :)