Chicken Broccoli Casserole is super easy, super cheesy and there’s no canned condensed soup either!
It is chock full of chicken and broccoli, cheese, and just enough pasta to pull it all together!
This casserole is perfect for those busy weeknights and just as good the next day at work! The classic as the combination of chicken and broccoli is perfect in a stir fry and of course in this casserole.
How to Make Chicken Broccoli Casserole
Chicken broccoli noodle casserole can be made with a variety of different pasta. Why not try penne, rotelle, bowtie, or cavatappi? Choose heartier types of pasta that can hold their own with chicken and broccoli.
- Cook pasta and add broccoli (per recipe below). Drain well and set aside.
- Combine all ingredients together. Mix well and spread in a casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with topping and bake until the cheese is bubbly and lightly browned.
Remove from oven and serve with cheesy breadsticks for the perfect weeknight meal!
Ingredients and Variations
The sky is the limit here, really!
- SAUCE This is intended to be a quickie meal and it starts with a jar of alfredo sauce but just like my chicken spaghetti, I’ve included a variation to create a ‘from scratch’ sauce too. If you have a favorite chicken alfredo sauce, use that.
- CHICKEN Swap out chicken for leftover ham or turkey. Even ground chicken will work.
- BROCCOLI While broccoli is the star of this dish, add in sliced mushrooms, peas, green beans or diced carrots – or add all of them together!
- CHEDDAR Broccoli and cheddar are a classic pairing and swiss adds a bit of tang. Of course the cheese can be swapped out for whatever is in your fridge.
Chicken broccoli casserole actually tastes better the next day, if that’s even possible!
- To Store, just cover the casserole dish with plastic wrap or aluminum foil to keep it from absorbing the odors from the other items in the refrigerator.
- Reheat by popping it back into the oven, or scoop out a portion and reheat in the microwave.
Perfect for the second night of dinners or an easy take-to-work lunch!
Easy Casserole Dishes
- Cheesy Chicken Casserole – great weeknight dinner
- Creamy Turkey Casserole – budget-friendly
- Salsa Chicken Casserole – ready in 30 mins!
- Chicken Mushroom Casserole
- Broccoli and Cheese Casserole
- Chicken Parmesan Casserole
- Chicken Rice Casserole – just 4 ingredients!
- Easy Chicken Noodle Casserole – made with pantry staples
- Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
Chicken Broccoli Casserole
- 8 ounces medium pasta cooked al dente
- 4 cups fresh broccoli cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups cooked chicken
Sauce* (optional from scratch sauce below)
- 2 ½ cups prepared alfredo sauce about 2 jars
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- ½ cup swiss cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook pasta al dente according to package directions adding the broccoli into the cooking water during the last 2 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, combine all sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Stir together broccoli and pasta, sauce, and chicken. Place in a greased 2 qt casserole dish.
- Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake 35 minutes or until bubbly and cheese lightly browned.
1/4 cup butter
1/2 small onion diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup flour
2 1/2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
2 oz cream cheese
3/4 cup each sharp cheddar and swiss cheese, shredded Cook onion, garlic and butter on medium-low heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour. Cook 1 minute more.
Gradually whisk in milk and cook until thick and bubbly. Add cheeses and dry mustard stirring until melted. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!