Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry is an excellent go-to lunch or dinner option. You know those busy busy days when you need a meal on the table quickly (and you’ve literally got nothing to go to at 5pm)… this is going to be your saving grace!
Juicy chicken pieces and tender crisp broccoli are mixed with a homemade stir fry sauce to create a quick meal that the whole family will love!
I love serving this chicken broccoli stir fry recipe over rice, but you can serve it over noodles if you’d like, or even enjoy it on its own!
Chicken Stir Fry is a go-to around here! All of us absolutely love it, it takes just minutes to make and it’s fresh and healthy!
I’m always looking for homemade lunches (and dinners) that taste great and reheat well and this Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry fits the bill perfectly.
The great thing about chicken stir fry is that it’s loaded with fresh veggies and lean protein so it’s the perfect meal! While this recipe is simple with just broccoli, feel free to add in whatever is in your fridge to make it your own! Peppers, mushrooms and zucchini are great choices too!
It’s just one of many recipes I’ve tried from the newest addition to my beloved cookbook collection, The Weekday Lunches & Breakfasts Cookbook! This yummy book was written by my good friend Mary (who blogs over at Barefeet in the Kitchen)!
It’s packed with easy meal ideas for breakfasts and lunches (and if you’re anything like us, they make perfect dinners too). I can assure you first hand that Mary’s recipes are always easy to make and nothing short of delicious. You can grab your copy here on Amazon!
How to Make Chicken Stir Fry
Chicken Stir Fry always turns out the best when you cook it at a high temperature. This ensures that you don’t overcook the chicken or broccoli and adds a nice brown crust to the chicken. I like to make sure that all of my ingredients are prepped before I begin cooking so I am not scrambling to get everything into the skillet on time!
Browning your onion and chicken in your skillet adds tons of flavor to this dish, so resist the urge to stir your skillet too soon! Using chicken thighs ensures delicious juicy bites of chicken every time however you can certainly replace it with chicken breasts if you prefer. Be sure to watch the chicken breasts don’t overcook.
Adding oil your skillet ensures the chicken doesn’t stick while it’s cooking. If it does stick a bit that’s ok because the sauce will deglaze, and all of that deliciousness will add a ton of flavor to this chicken and broccoli stir fry.
While you cook your chicken and steam your broccoli, you can quickly stir together your sauce ingredients. Once you add your sauce, make sure you scrape the bottom of your skillet well to add in those yummy browned bits and stir it all to combine.
Once it is thickened, you are set with a delicious at-home meal option that tastes better than take-out! Serve this easy meal over rice or noodles for the perfect meal!
This chicken and broccoli stir fry can be made ahead, which makes dinner time even faster. I love packing it for school lunches too! It will last about 3 days in the fridge in an airtight container, and can be reheated in a microwave or on the stove top! (And remember you can grab your copy of this awesome book here).
More Take Out Favorites
- Sticky Bourbon Chicken
- Easy Ramen Stir fry
- Homemade Wonton Soup
- Easy Fried Rice Recipe
- Cashew Chicken Stir Fry
- Easy Beef Stir Fry
- Easy Mongolian Beef
Chicken and Broccoli Stir-Fry
- 1 1/2 tablespoon light flavored olive oil or coconut oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, sliced into thin strips, about 1 1/2 cups
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon chili paste
- 3 cups bite-sized broccoli florets
- cooked rice for serving, optional
- Heat a large stainless steel skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 tablespoon of oil, and let it warm for a few seconds. Add the onion strips and let them cook for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and stir. Push the garlic and onion to the outside of the pan.
- Pour the remaining oil in the center of the skillet. Add the chicken. Spread across the skillet and sprinkle with cornstarch. Cook without stirring for 2 minutes, until browned, and then use a sturdy metal spatula to lift and flip each piece of chicken. Cook for 1 minute.
- While the chicken is cooking, stir together the soy sauce, honey, and chili paste. Add the sauce to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Add the broccoli on top of the other ingredients and cover with lid. Cook for 2 minutes. The broccoli should be bright green and barely softened. Remove the lid and stir, scraping up any bits of sauce or meat from the bottom of the skillet. Simmer 1 minute to thicken the sauce, stirring frequently. Serve on its own or over rice, if desired.
- Store this in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stove. This can be stored in one large container or portioned into individual servings for storage and reheating.
Repin this Scrumptious Stir Fry