Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole is a comfort food classic that will disappear almost as fast as you can make it!
Tender pieces of chicken, broccoli, and rice in a quick and creamy sauce. One pot and oodles of cheese (no ‘cream of’ soups required) make this a weeknight favorite!
A simple recipe, quick and easy to make from scratch, and the flavor? It’s homemade goodness all the way!
Easy Cheesy Casserole
This is a shortcut version of our favorite Broccoli Rice Casserole, great for a weeknight meal.
- Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole makes for an easy all-in-one dinner, with protein, vegetables, and starch.
- Best of all it’s made in just one pot, this means less mess.
- This casserole quickly goes from counter to table in no time. No need to cook the rice separately.
- You can use leftover or rotisserie chicken and/or swap out the veggies or cheeses for what’s in your fridge.
Ingredients & Variations
CHICKEN This recipe starts with cooked chicken (see notes in the recipe if you don’t have cooked chicken).
BROCCOLI Fresh or frozen broccoli will work in this recipe, and it’s a good recipe to substitute other vegetables. Try a California mix, or even just a simple mixed (peas/carrots/corn) frozen veggie mixture.
RICE Instant rice or Minute Rice make this dish quick. If you don’t have instant rice you can cook some long grain white rice to use in this recipe instead. Leftover cooked rice (of any variety) can be used.
CHEESE This 3 cheese casserole has cream cheese, cheddar cheese, & parmesan, plus butter & sour cream for a light and cheesy sauce.
How to Make Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
This casserole comes together as easily as 1, 2, 3!
- Make the sauce with sautéed onion & garlic (per recipe below).
- Add broth, rice, & broccoli, cover, and let rest 5 minutes.
- Stir in chicken and cheese and bake if desired.
- Sprinkle with topping mixture and bake according to instructions.
A Couple of Recipe Tips
- If cooking your own chicken, pan fry in pieces or even cook breasts in the air fryer and shred.
- Feel free to use cooked white rice or even brown rice. Cook it according to package instructions (sub broth for water for extra flavor) before adding it in step 3 of the recipe.
- For a super tasty topping, add some yummy crispy fried onions to the topping.
More Comforting Casseroles
- Mac and Cheese Casserole– extra rich & creamy
- Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole – freezer friendly
- Classic Tater Tot Casserole – easy and cheesy
- Cheesy Ham Casserole – perfect for a crowd
- Creamy Turkey Casserole – a great way to use leftover turkey
Did your family love this Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
- 1 onion diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 ounces cream cheese softened
- ½ teaspoon each dried oregano and basil
- 1 ¾ cups chicken broth
- 1 ¼ cups instant rice
- 4 cups broccoli chopped into small pieces
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese grated
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs optional
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a dutch oven or large ovensafe pot, cook onion in butter over medium heat until tender, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook just until fragrant.
- Stir in cream cheese and herbs. Cook until creamy. Add chicken broth, rice and broccoli.
- Bring to a boil, turn off heat and cover. Let sit undisturbed for 5 minutes.
- Once the rice has rested and is tender, stir in chicken, sour cream, and cheeses.
- Top casserole with cheese and breadcrumbs (if using).
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes or until heated through and cheese is lightly browned.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)