Chicken Mushroom Casserole is a perfect weeknight meal and this one is crazy easy to make! This casserole recipe has a delicious combination of mushrooms, chicken, rice and beans with lots parmesan & garlic flavor!
I’ve partnered with Zatarain’s® to bring you this belly warming casserole!
How to Make Chicken Mushroom Casserole with Rice
Zatarain’s® Parmesan Garlic Brown Rice with White Beans makes this recipe extra easy peasy. This rice blend has tons of flavor from garlic and parmesan plus great texture with the addition of white beans! The whole thing bakes up easily in the oven, no pre-cooking the rice required!
This rice blend also makes an easy side dish recipe (ready in just 10 minutes) and packed with 9 grams of protein and 11g of fiber. Hearty and healthy!!
- Season and brown chicken (per recipe below).
- Cook mushrooms and onions until tender.
- Combine all ingredients in dish and bake. So easy!
Be sure to let the rice rest a few minutes before serving so it can soak up any liquid. Garnish with fresh herbs (like parsley or basil) and a sprinkle of parmesan.
- Chicken: I use chicken breasts, you can use chicken thighs if you’d like. Leftover roast chicken or rotisserie chicken works too (or even leftover turkey)! (This rice also makes a great Chicken Skillet Recipe).
- Mushrooms: No mushrooms? No problem! Stir fry a little bit of zucchini or even add in some steamed broccoli or leftover roast veggies!
- Seasonings: I love the addition of Italian seasoning in this recipe. Or skip the additional seasoning since this Zatarains® mixture is full of flavor.
- Toppings: This dish is great topped with cheese or a bread crumb topping. Once the foil is removed, add a handful of shredded mozzarella or even provolone.
What to Serve with Chicken Mushroom Casserole
Nothing pairs better with a casserole than a crisp, green salad, and maybe a few slices of homemade garlic bread! For a heartier offering, a side of roasted green beans or a medley of steamed veggies like broccoli and cauliflower really round out the menu!
Perfect for next day lunches at work or school! Store it in an airtight container in the fridge.
When you are ready to reheat and eat, simply pop a serving (or more!) into the microwave. Refresh the flavors with a dash of salt and pepper and it will be as good as new!
More Delicious Casserole Dishes
Chicken Mushroom Casserole
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 8 ounces chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
- ½ small onion diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 package Zatarain's® Parmesan Garlic Brown Rice with White Beans
- 1 ½ cups boiling water
- parsley and parmesan cheese for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 2QT casserole dish.
- Season chicken with Italian seasoning, salt & pepper to taste. Cook chicken in 1 tablespoon olive oil until lightly browned (it does not need to be cooked through). Remove from heat and add to casserole dish.
- Heat remaining oil in the same pan. Add onions and cook until softened, 2-3 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add mushroom mixture to casserole dish along with remaining ingredients (except garnish). Stir and cover tightly with foil or a lid. Bake 35 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove foil and bake 5 minutes more.
- Rest 5 minutes. Stir, garnish and serve.