This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Zucchini Cake is a family favorite cake for entertaining! Grated zucchini, pineapple, nuts and spices combine together to create a moist, delicious and spiced cake!
I top this cake with the Best Cream Cheese Frosting for a totally irresistible dessert!
Add vegetables to cake? Sound crazy? Maybe, but just like in Zucchini Brownies with 1 Minute Frosting, the addition of zucchini is the secret to keeping this cake so incredibly moist!
While you can’t taste the zucchini in this cake the moist texture will definitely stand out to you! I make this Zucchini Cake with Buttermilk to add richness. Just like my favorite Carrot Cake recipe, I load this cake up with goodies including nuts, coconut and pineapple!
How to make Zucchini Cake
Making a zucchini cake could not be easier!
- Grate zucchini and set aside. (If using frozen grated zucchini, drain excess liquid)
- Combine all dry ingredients.
- Combine wet ingredients and zucchini.
- Stir to combine wet and dry ingredients.
- Bake and enjoy!
How to Grate Zucchini for Cake
Grating zucchini for cake ensures you have moisture in every single bite. Just like preparing zucchini for Zucchini Bread, use the larger side of a square cheese grater to shred your zucchini. There is no need to squeeze it or remove any of the moisture, you want it to make the bread moist!
Tips for Great Perfect Zucchini Cake
- Use ingredients that are at room temperature. Eggs from the refrigerator can be brought to room temperature quickly by placing them in a warm water bath for about 10 minutes.
- Always sprinkle flour into measuring cup instead of scooping it from the container to get a more accurate measure.
- Do not over mix. Cake batter should be slightly lumpy.
- Dark pans will bake more quickly than glass pans, so baking time may need to be adjusted.
What type of frosting is best for Zucchini Cake?
Any kind of frosting from vanilla to chocolate is good on a zucchini cake! My personal favorite is Zucchini Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting.
Zucchini Cake can be modified based on personal preference. Omit nuts when nut allergies are a concern. If nuts are not an issue, walnuts and pecans can be substituted for each other. Chocolate chips or raisins are a great addition to Zucchini Cake.
More Zucchini Recipes You’ll Love
- Zucchini Bread
- Grilled Zucchini
- Pumpkin Zucchini Bread
- Lemon Zucchini Cupcakes
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Bread
- Crispy Zucchini Fries (oven baked)
A tender moist zucchini cake with nuts, coconut and pineapple.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 1/3 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup walnuts chopped
- 1 8 oz can crushed pineapple squeezed and drained
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9×13 pan.
Whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk, oil, sugar and vanilla. Fold in dry ingredients.
Add remaining ingredients and stir just until combined.
Pour into prepared pan for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool completely and frost as desired.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
REPIN this Delicious Cake Recipe