Zucchini Cake is a family favorite cake for entertaining! Grated zucchini, pineapple, nuts and spices combine together to create a moist, delicious and spiced cake!
I top this cake with the Best Cream Cheese Frosting for a totally irresistible dessert!
Add vegetables to cake? Sound crazy? Maybe, but just like in Zucchini Brownies with 1 Minute Frosting, the addition of zucchini is the secret to keeping this cake so incredibly moist!
While you can’t taste the zucchini in this cake the moist texture will definitely stand out to you! I make this Zucchini Cake with Buttermilk to add richness. Just like my favorite Carrot Cake recipe, I load this cake up with goodies including nuts, coconut and pineapple!
How to make Zucchini Cake
Making a zucchini cake could not be easier!
- Grate zucchini and set aside. (If using frozen grated zucchini, drain excess liquid)
- Combine all dry ingredients.
- Combine wet ingredients and zucchini.
- Stir to combine wet and dry ingredients.
- Bake and enjoy!
How to Grate Zucchini for Cake
Grating zucchini for cake ensures you have moisture in every single bite. Just like preparing zucchini for Zucchini Bread, use the larger side of a square cheese grater to shred your zucchini. There is no need to squeeze it or remove any of the moisture, you want it to make the bread moist!
Tips for Great Perfect Zucchini Cake
- Use ingredients that are at room temperature. Eggs from the refrigerator can be brought to room temperature quickly by placing them in a warm water bath for about 10 minutes.
- Always sprinkle flour into measuring cup instead of scooping it from the container to get a more accurate measure.
- Do not over mix. Cake batter should be slightly lumpy.
- Dark pans will bake more quickly than glass pans, so baking time may need to be adjusted.
What type of frosting is best for Zucchini Cake?
Any kind of frosting from vanilla to chocolate is good on a zucchini cake! My personal favorite is Zucchini Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting.
Zucchini Cake can be modified based on personal preference. Omit nuts when nut allergies are a concern. If nuts are not an issue, walnuts and pecans can be substituted for each other. Chocolate chips or raisins are a great addition to Zucchini Cake.
More Zucchini Recipes You’ll Love
- Zucchini Bread
- Grilled Zucchini
- Pumpkin Zucchini Bread
- Lemon Zucchini Cupcakes
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Bread
- Crispy Zucchini Fries (oven baked)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup oil
- 1 ⅓ cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups zucchini grated
- 1 cup coconut shredded
- 1 cup walnuts chopped
- 8 ounces can crushed pineapple squeezed and drained
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9×13 pan.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk, oil, sugar and vanilla. Fold in dry ingredients.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir just until combined.
- Pour into prepared pan for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely and frost as desired.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
REPIN this Delicious Cake Recipe
This is always the cake I make for parties, birthdays, celebrations etc. never disappoints! (apart from when I can’t get courgettes here in NZ out of season!)
So happy you are enjoying this recipe, Chrissie!
Made this today and it is awesome! Used pecans instead of walnuts and made homemade buttermilk since I didn’t have any (1T vinegar in 3/4 measuring cup, then fill with milk. Let it sit about 5 minutes until the mixture resembles buttermilk). The first bite kind of reminded me of a German chocolate cake. This recipe is a definite keeper!
Hoping to make this for my little guys 2nd birthday this week but hoped to use a round spring form pan. Would I have to adjust the cooking time?
Thanks in advance!
A round pan would work fine but I would only fill the tin 3/4 full and put the rest in cupcake tins! You will need to add more time to the cook time in the recipe.
Made these into jumbo cupcakes instead and my son said these are the best zucchini muffins he has ever tasted! Will definitely make again.
Cannot wait to try.
Can’t wait to try!
Made this yesterday and used the cream cheese frosting it is fabulous.
Yum, that does sound fabulous Randy!
I love the look of your recipes and will certainly be trying some of those.
I look forward to getting your daily recipes.
Thank you Judy! I hope you love them all!
What type of oil do you use please Holly?
I generally use a store brand vegetable or canola oil for baking.
What about summer squash
I can’t see any reason summer squash wouldn’t work in this recipe. Let us know how it goes if you try it!