We love a good potato salad with bacon and cheese in a creamy dressing.
This version of a classic potato salad has a tangy sour cream Dijon dressing and a generous dose of cheddar cheese with lots of crispy bacon! So good!
Serve warm or cold and watch it disappear!
Potluck Perfect Side Dish
- Packed with flavor, we make this easy potato salad with bacon and cheddar…. and lots of it!
- This crowd-pleasing favorite is lightened up a little bit by using extra sour cream and tangy notes of vinegar and mustard.
- Quick and easy to prepare, bacon potato salad will a your summer go-to for picnics and parties!
- Just like German potato salad, this salad can be served warm or similar to a deviled egg potato salad, chilled!
- It is best made ahead of time makes excellent leftovers as the flavors blend.
Ingredients in Potato Salad
Potatoes – The best potatoes are thin-skinned potatoes like Yukon gold or red potatoes. Save a little time and leave the potatoes unpeeled for a more rustic look! Baking potatoes (like Russet) are more grainy and tend to fall apart.
Bacon – We LOVE crispy bacon and it’s amazing in this recipe. Cook up a batch of bacon (we like to cook it in the oven) for the best results. Pre-cooked bacon or real bacon bits can also be used but the real-deal is best in this recipe! Chop it finely before adding to the salad to ensure you get bacon in every bite!
Add-Ins Celery and green onions bring color and crunch! Try adding peas, radishes, and even sliced water chestnuts!
Sour Cream Potato Salad Dressing
Our usual potato salad uses a mayonnaise based dressing but this version has extra sour cream for some tang! You can swap it out for your favorite dressing.
- Sour cream with a bit of mayonnaise make up the base of this recipe. Swap the sour cream for Greek yogurt if you’d like!
- Vinegar adds tang while Dijon mustard give this dressing a bit of zing. Stir a bit of homemade ranch dressing for even more flavor.
How to Make Potato Salad with Bacon
A little bit of bacon tossed into this cream and flavorful salad, stands this apart from other potato salads.
- Cook bacon and cool. Boil chopped potatoes, and drain well.
- Prepare the dressing (per the recipe below).
- Toss potatoes and dressing in a large bowl, and add the remaining ingredients.
- Garnish with sprigs of dill and serve warm or chilled.
Storing Potato Salad
Keep leftover potato salad with bacon in a covered container for up to 4 days and reheat in the microwave. It’s not recommended to freeze potato salads with dressings made with mayonnaise and sour cream since the texture and flavor won’t be the same as fresh.
More Recipe with Potatoes
- Ham and Potato Soup – Warm and comforting
- Air Fryer Potato and Sausage – Quick and easy
- Creamed Potatoes – So creamy
- How to Make Baked Potatoes – The best spuds!
Did your family love this Potato Salad with Bacon? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Potato Salad with Bacon
- 6 cups yellow or red potatoes cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 green onions diced
- 1 cup celery finely diced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 8 slices bacon cooked and crumbled or chopped, or ½ cup real bacon bits
- parsley and dill for garnish
- ¾ cup sour cream not low fat
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 1 ½ tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill or ½ teaspoon dried, optional
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat* OPTIONAL SEE NOTE
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add chopped potatoes and boil 10-12 minutes or until fork tender.
- Whisk dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Add ½ teaspoon salt & ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Once potatoes are cooked, drain well and place in a large bowl. Add dressing. Toss to combine.
- Add celery, green onions, cheese, and crumbled bacon. Mix well. Garnish with herbs if desired.
- Serve warm.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
Inspired by The Lady’s Warm Potato Salad