German Potato Salad is always a hit any time of year. Most often served warm, this easy potato salad is a tangy twist from a mayonnaise potato salad recipe.
What is German Potato Salad?
Traditionally from Southern Germany, the best German potato salad is made with a flavorful balance of vinegar, water, sugar, and salt and pepper. I love to add lots of bacon for a great smoky flavor!
Hot German potato salad can be served any time of year or cooled to enjoy at a summer barbecue!
How to Make German Potato Salad
This potato salad is made similarly to a warm potato salad. Cube and boil potatoes and while they’re cooking, prep the dressing!
German Potato Salad Dressing is made with a roux base.
- Fry bacon until crisp. Once cooled, crumble into small bits.
- Fry chopped onion in the remaining bacon grease. Stir in flour and cook down.
- Whisk remaining ingredients (except the parsley) and bring to a simmer.
Now that the dressing is ready, pour over warm potatoes and gently toss to coat! Before serving, add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle parsley over the top, and of course bacon!
What to Eat with German Potato Salad
As a side dish, German potato salad goes with any kind of meat, especially grilled sausages! In keeping with a German theme, why not try a chilled glass of Riesling or Gewurztraminer wine?
Fave Potato Side Dishes
- The BEST Mashed Potatoes – Perfect with almost every meal.
- Easy Cheesy Potatoes – only 6 ingredients!
- Easy Oven Roasted Potatoes – an easy go-to recipe.
- Scalloped Potatoes Recipe – a simple classic.
- Dill Pickle Potato Salad – a fun tangy side.
German Potato Salad
- 2 ½ pounds potatoes yellow or red
- 8 slices bacon uncooked
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ⅓ cup white vinegar
- ½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- ¼ cup celery chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- Cut potatoes into bite sized pieces. Bring salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon and cook onion in drippings until tender, 3-5 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook 1 minute. Add remaining ingredients except parsley and bring to a simmer while whisking. Simmer 2 minutes.
- Place warm potatoes in a bowl. Pour the dressing over top, add celery if using and parsley and toss well. Top with crumbled bacon.
- Serve warm or room temperature.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)