This cake was just so simple! I didn’t have to dirty a ton of dishes or melt chocolate or make a huge mess in the kitchen. I just used one bowl and a few measuring cups… and I was rewarded with a beautiful rich moist chocolate cake. I also loved that the layers (I made 3) cooked up so evenly… perfect for stacking.
Now that I’ve made this, I don’t think I’ll be buying boxed mix anymore.
Simple Chocolate Cake!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour your baking pan (see size information in the notes below) or line your muffin pan with paper liners for cupcakes.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
- Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla to dry mixture and mix with an electric mixer on medium for about 2 minutes. Gently mix in boiling water. Note: Your batter will seem thin, it's ok.. it's supposed to!
- Pour into pans and bake. Cool on wire racks.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
This recipe was inspired by Hershey’s!