Watermelon Lemonade is a cool and refreshing drink perfect on the deck on a hot summer’s day!
This recipe is so easy and delicious, you’ll definitely want to prepare if for your next BBQ feast or just to relax and share with friends on your patio (and it can easily be spiked with vodka)! With just the perfect amount of sweetness, a touch of tart lemon and refreshing watermelon flavor, this is sure to become your favorite summer beverage!
Nothing screams summer like watermelon and of course refreshing lemonade; the perfect summer drink! I actually LOVE lemonade and limeade and have been making Homemade Strawberry Lemonade for about as long as I can remember. It’s cold, frosty and refreshing!
Adding watermelon is a super-easy way to change up traditional lemonade and it’s absolutely delicious! These two flavors together create the perfect combination for any hot summery day.
This Watermelon Lemonade recipe starts out with fresh lemons. You’ll need 3 full lemons juiced so if you want some for garnish, be sure to grab a couple extra at the store! In order to get the most juice from your lemons, you’ll want to ensure they’re at room temperature (or microwave them for about 15 seconds before juicing). Before cutting and juicing, place the lemon on the counter and roll it around with a little bit of pressure. I most often juice lemons using this lemon juicer but you can also just cut them in half, stick a fork in the flesh and squeeze while rocking the fork back and forth.
Speaking of the lemons, since I am going to be throwing the rinds away anyhow, I usually zest the lemons before I start and place the zest in a little freezer bag. The zest is perfect for adding to frostings, banana bread, or even pasta sauces and it will keep in the freezer for a few months.
Tips for Making this Recipe
- Dice up the watermelon, blend well then strain through a fine sieve or colander to remove the pulp. If you like pulp in your orange juice, then perhaps you may like to leave a bit of the pulp in the liquid in this case too.
- Prepare your simple syrup by dissolving the sugar in water. This process can be sped up by heating the sugar water in the microwave or on the stovetop.
- To cool your simple syrup quickly, use a little bit less water than called for in the recipe, once the sugar is dissolved, simply add a few ice cubes to cool it and bring it to the desired amount of liquid.
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice is definitely best in this recipe but you can use the bottled version in a pinch. I love to use my lemon squeezer to make this task so simple and fast!
- If sitting for a few hours, the watermelon will separate and sink to the bottom. Just give it a quick stir and it’ll still be delicious!
While this recipe is non-alcoholic, it’s also delicious if you add a splash of vodka to create a Watermelon Lemonade Cocktail! Perfect to serve at a party or to simply enjoy at the end of a long day with a great book.
- 4 cups watermelon cubed
- 3 lemons juiced
- 3 cups cold water
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup water or to taste
- To make simple syrup, combine sugar and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Cool completely.
- Blend watermelon until smooth. Strain through a mesh strainer. Discard pulp.
- Fill a 2 qt container ½ way with ice. Add watermelon juice, lemon juice, and simple syrup to taste.
- Top with cold water and serve immediately.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
Watermelon Lemonade is easy, refreshing, delicious, and nutritious! The perfect drink to add to your menu tonight!!
More Recipes You Will Love
- Classic Mojito Recipe
- Easy Homemade Strawberry Lemonade
- Homemade Lemonade
- Easy Mimosa Recipe
- Celebration Punch