Fluffy Nutella frosting is the perfect creamy topper for your favorite cupcakes.
It can be used to frost cupcakes, cakes, or even brownies. With the texture of buttercream, this Nutella frosting can be spread or piped onto your favorite sweet treats!
A Favorite Frosting
Nutella was first introduced over 50 years ago in Italy. This amazing spread is a combination of hazelnuts and cocoa (chocolate).
Adding it to frosting makes for a rich chocolate frosting with a hazelnut flavor. The texture is nice and thick, great for spreading, piping or filling.
NUTELLA Start with either original or Homemade Nutella.
DAIRY Add butter and cream for an extra creamy texture.
SUGAR Powdered sugar makes it sweet, light, and fluffy, perfect for frosting.
How to Make Nutella Frosting
Nutella frosting is as easy to make as 1, 2, 3!
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and Nutella until completely combined.
- Mix in vanilla and heavy cream.
- Slowly add in powdered sugar and cocoa powder and beat until fluffy.
How to Store Nutella Frosting
- Keep Nutella frosting in a covered container and it will last for about a week in the refrigerator.
- Freeze portions of Nutella frosting in quart-sized zipper bags with the date labeled on the outside for up to 3 months.
- Let frosting thaw at room temperature and beat the frosting with an electric mixer until it is fluffy again.
Add Nutella Frosting to…
- Strawberry Crepes – perfect for brunch
- Grandpa’s Banana Cupcakes – a 5 star recipe
- Easy Blondie Recipe – chewy, dense, and buttery
- Birthday Cake Pancakes – festive & fun
- Peanut Butter Banana Refrigerator Pie – no bake
Did you love this Nutella Frosting? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!
- ¾ cup butter softened
- ½ cup Nutella + 2 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ - 2½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- Beat butter and Nutella until combined. Mix in cream and vanilla.
- Slowly add in powdered sugar and cocoa powder.
- Beat on high for 2 minutes or until fluffy.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
Beautiful light fluffy frosting with a rich and morish chocolatey nutella taste! I don’t understand the bad reviews and can only think it is user error to blame! I converted the recipe into metric, it’s delicious and so easy to make. Thank you for the recipe!
So happy it turns out for you, Louise!
Yum yum yummy!1
A friend told me about this site.
Welcome Dee! Hope you enjoy the recipes!
I followed the steps exactly, and wound up with a broken, greasy, unusable mess. I don’t understand what happened. :/
Sorry to hear that Amelia, we have reviewed and updated the recipe for a better product!
I noticed it only calls for 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar and normally you need 3 or more cups so will this recipe frost a 9 X 13 cake or a 2 layer cake?
Hi Tina, This recipe does frost a dozen or more cupcakes nicely. But you may need to double the recipe in order to frost a cake.
I love nutella. I think I can use this frosting for every pastry and drinks ^^ Thank you for sharing!! So easy and simple
OMGSH….. Where have you been all my life?! xo
Delicious!! Ii did not have chocolate chips so I had to use chocolate coating (like for dipped strawberries). My husband ate 3 pieces! And he RARELY ever goes back for seconds.
My girls love Nutella, they would surely love these. Thanks for sharing on Hearth & Soul Hop. :)
Nutella frosting! What a great idea…
Yumm! I can’t wait to try this…love nutella!
The cupcakes and frosting look super delicious. I think I’m gonna have to buy me some Nutella. Stopping by from I Should be Mopping.
Worst frosting recipe ever!!! The texture is nasty and ruined an entire birthday cake.
Oh no, I’m sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy this Nutella frosting recipe Abernhardt! That’s disappointing. We’ve had great praises on it, so I’m not sure what may have gone wrong for you. Thank you for trying it.