Seared Scallops are served in a zesty lemon cream sauce!
This white wine sauce is quick and delicious with subtle lemon garlic flavors.
Scallops are a favorite for us, they are super fast and easy to make and seem so elegant.
This one-pan entrée keeps kitchen clean-up to a minimum.
Dinner in about 15 minutes is always a win for me!
Ingredients and Variations
Scallops, garlic, white wine, cream, and lemon juice are the foundation ingredients for this recipe.
SCALLOPS Choose sea scallops (not smaller bay scallops) for this recipe. Sea scallops are great for this dish (and things like bacon-wrapped scallops or seared scallops). Save the itty-bitty bay variety for soups or pasta.
SAUCE Heavy cream is used in this recipe and shouldn’t be swapped. Other types of dairy (like milk or light cream) can curdle with the addition of lemon juice.
WINE Use any white you like to drink! We love a pinot grigio in this recipe (and in our glasses), but a chardonnay or sauvignon blanc would be great too.
If you’d like to skip the wine in this recipe you can but it will definitely change the flavor of the dish.
No Scallops? If scallops aren’t available, prawns or shrimp will work well in this sauce too.
How to Make Scallops
1. PREP Thaw frozen scallops in the refrigerator (not on the countertop) and drain the juices. Prep scallops by checking for the “side muscle” (a triangular piece) and simply pinch or cut it off. Pat the scallops dry.
2. SEAR Sear scallops until golden brown (per recipe below) and set aside.
3. SAUCE In the same pan, cook garlic and white wine. Add cream and lemon juice and simmer until thickened. Whisk in butter.
What to Serve with Creamy Scallops
This versatile dish goes with so many side dishes!
Savory Seafood Recipes
- Garlic Butter Shrimp
- Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
- Easy Shrimp Scampi
- Coconut Shrimp Curry
- Quick and Easy Grilled Scallops
- Easy Shrimp Alfredo
Did your family love these Scallops in Lemon Cream? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!
Scallops in Lemon Wine Sauce
- 1 pound sea scallops
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter divided
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup white wine
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- parsley for garnish
- Defrost scallops in the fridge if frozen. Dab dry with a paper towel and season with salt & pepper.
- Heat oil over high heat in a nonstick skillet.
- Once the oil is smoking, add scallops and cook 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Flip scallops over and cook an additional 60 seconds or just until firm and browned. Do not overcook.
- Remove from heat and place on a plate to rest.
- Reduce heat to medium and wipe-out skillet with a paper towel.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter to the pan. Add garlic and cook just until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add white wine and cook until reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Add heavy cream and lemon juice. Simmer 2 minutes more or until slightly thickened. Stir in remaining butter.
- Drizzle sauce over scallops and sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.