Pumpkin Chili is a delicious and hearty take on a homemade chili recipe. This dish has an assortment of beans and veggies simmered in a thick meaty seasoned tomato sauce.
The addition of pumpkin adds a richness to the sauce and lots of great nutrition too!
Why We Love Pumpkin Chili
Like butternut squash soup or beef stew, this is one of those cozy chilly weather meals that warms you from the inside out.
- Adding pumpkin purée to chili gives it an earthy, savory flavor that beautifully complements all the other robust ingredients.
- It’s a great way to use up that extra bit of pumpkin puree you might have on hand.
- You can use fresh pumpkin puree or canned in this recipe.
- This dish is packed with protein, fiber, and antioxidants.
- Set it and forget it in a Crockpot—it’s portable for a potluck, too!
MEAT Our recipe calls for ground beef, but since pumpkin chili is a great entrée for using up leftovers, why not use up that turkey, chicken, or pork?
BEANS Add different beans like canned black beans or kidney beans. Cannellini beans are often referred to as white beans when they are canned. Be sure to drain and rinse them.
VEGGIES Tomatoes and all the traditional chili vegetables are a must, of course. Additionally, this recipe calls for red peppers and pumpkin puree for a tasty and healthy white chili-style twist.
How to Cook Pumpkin Chili
This recipe has just two simple steps, it’s that easy!
- Sauté the beef with garlic and veggies (per recipe below) until cooked through.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and simmer until the chili is thick.
For a spicier chili, add extra chile pepper, red pepper flakes, or even diced jalapeno.
Serve with homemade French bread or even some jalapeno cheddar bread. Don’t forget a quick and easy cucumber tomato salad to round out the meal!
Instant Pot Directions
- Cook the beef with onion, celery, carrot, and garlic on the sauté setting in the instant pot until the meat is cooked through. Drain fat.
- Stir remaining ingredients, cover, and cook on high for 25 minutes.
- Let the instant pot naturally release for 10 minutes. Stir and serve.
Slow Cooker Directions
Pumpkin chili can even be made in the Crock-Pot for a set-it-and-forget-it meal that’s perfect to come home to!
- In a skillet, cook the beef with onion, celery, carrot, and garlic until the meat is cooked through, drain the fat.
- Add the meat mixture to the slow cooker and stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 to 3 hours, or low for 4 to 6 hours, stirring occasionally.
Pumpkin chili tastes just as good (if not better) the next day! Keep in a covered container in the refrigerator and it will last about 5 days. Reheat on the stovetop or in individual portions in the microwave.
Pumpkin chili freezes great, too, so it’s a good recipe for batch cooking! Once it is fully cooled, ladle pumpkin chili into zippered bags and write the date on the outside. Freeze the bags flat and once they are fully frozen, stack them upright to save freezer space!
Our Favorite Chili Recipes
- White Turkey Chili – great for leftovers
- Homemade Lentil Chili – hearty, budget-friendly meal!
- Texas Chili – made with boneless chuck roast
- Vegetarian Chili – perfect meatless meal
- The Best Chili Recipe – our favorite classic chili recipe!
Did you enjoy this Pumpkin Chili? Be sure to leave a rating and a review below!
Savory Pumpkin Chili
- 1 ½ pounds lean ground beef
- 1 onion diced
- 2 ribs celery diced
- 1 large carrot diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 15 ounces pumpkin puree
- 15 ounces cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground sage
- ½ teaspoon each salt & pepper
- ¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Brown beef, onion, celery, carrot, and garlic in a saucepan until no pink remains. Drain fat.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 30-40 minutes uncovered or until chili has thickened.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
Easy and delicious!
I am so glad you enjoyed this recipe Sue!
Excellent fall recipe! Will definitely make this again!
I am so glad you enjoyed this recipe Diane!
This sounds delicious! Will definitely be trying this!