Blueberry Crisp makes a quick and easy dessert that never disappoints! Learn how to make a blueberry crisp with an extra zing by adding a bit of lemon…so good!
Much like Apple Crisp, this easy fruit crisp recipe is perfect served warm from the oven topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
How to Make Easy Blueberry Crisp
Fruit Crisp recipes are always a favorite around here! They are easy to put together, filled with all kinds of delicious fruit and loved by everyone! I’ve made crisps with pretty much every fruit under the sun. In the summer it’s Rhubarb Crisp and this easy Blueberry Crisp and in the cooler months we use apples or make frozen berry crisp!
I always watch for blueberries to go on sale and when they do, I create all of our favorite desserts from Blueberry Pie and Blueberry Cobbler to oatmeals and buckles. Most often though, I go for blueberry crisp like this one because it’s so fast and pretty much effortless to make.
How to make Blueberry Crisp with Frozen Blueberries
You can use fresh or frozen blueberries for this easy blueberry crisp recipe, both will work perfectly! You can also add other fruit into this recipe, I’d recommend sticking with fruits that are soft and don’t require a ton of cooking time like peaches for a delicious peach blueberry crisp.
If you’re making apple blueberry crisp with this recipe, you’ll want to cut the apples fairly thin so they have a chance to cook through without the blueberries getting too soft.
Can you Freeze Blueberry Crisp?
Yes, blueberry crisp can be frozen (I usually freeze before baking). Prepare as directed and cover tightly with plastic wrap. To bake blueberry crisp from frozen, preheat oven to 375 degrees F and bake about 50-60 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
I often mix up huge batches of topping and place them in a freezer bag in the freezer. When we need a quick dessert, I just grab whatever fruit I have on hand and put it in a casserole dish with a bit of sugar/flour and sprinkle with topping. Dessert with about 5 minutes prep!
The topping is my favorite part so I make sure we have an extra generous portion. The buttery crumble for this blueberry crisp is made with oats, butter and brown sugar. I often add in chopped nuts (almonds or pecans are great choices) for a delicious toasted nutty flavor in the topping.
More Fruit Desserts You’ll Love
- Blueberry Cobbler – Classic!
- Baked Apples
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie – Summertime favorite!
- Raspberry Chocolate Swiss Roll
- Easy Strawberry Shortcake – Make ahead!
Easy Blueberry Crisp
- 5 cups blueberries fresh or frozen
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 lemon
- ¼ cup butter softened
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- ¾ cup oats regular or quick
- ½ cup almonds chopped (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Grate the rind of the lemon and squeeze the juice of half of the lemon.
- Toss blueberries, with sugar, lemon rind, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 3 tablespoons flour. Place in a 2qt baking dish.
- With a fork, combine the butter, brown sugar, oats, flour, nuts if using and cinnamon until crumbled. Sprinkle over blueberries.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the fruit is bubbly. Cool slightly and serve warm.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)