Blueberry Pie is a classic dessert that has been passed down for generations.
Sweet juicy blueberries are baked in a tender, flaky pie crust until golden brown and bubbly.
Serve blueberry pie a la mode with vanilla ice cream!
Crust for Blueberry Pie
Pastry – If time allows, a homemade pie pastry is great but it’s totally okay to use ready to bake pie crust (fresh or frozen) too. If you prefer a crumb topping, like in my easy apple crumb pie, you can replace the top crust with a crumb topping!
Baking – When baking a pie, the outer crust can brown faster than the rest. To over browning, use a pie shield or cover the edges with foil if they are browned before the rest of the pie.
Use Fresh or Frozen Berries
This blueberry pie recipe thickens much better with fresh blueberries. While fresh berries are preferable, they’re not always available (or can be very expensive) so frozen blueberries are a good substitute.
How to make Blueberry Pie
- Combine blueberry pie filling ingredients per the recipe below.
- Line the pie plate with the bottom crust and fill with berry mixture.
- Roll out the second pie crust and cut it into 1″ strips. Weave the strips over the pie to create a lattice crust.
- Brush with milk, butter, or an egg wash for a glossy finish.
Cook until the pie filling begins to bubble and the crust is golden brown. Once the blueberry pie is perfectly done, be sure to allow time to cool and set.
Did you enjoy this Homemade Blueberry Pie? Leave us a comment and a rating below!
Homemade Blueberry Pie
- 1 recipe 9-inch double pie crust
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 lemon zested & juiced
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 5 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons milk or butter
- coarse sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Adjust a rack to the bottom of the oven.
- In a small bowl, mix sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, cinnamon and a pinch of salt. Add to blueberries and gently stir to combine.
- Roll half of the pie dough on a lightly floured surface into a 12-inch circle. Line a 9-inch pie pan with the crust. Fill the crust with the blueberry mixture.
- Top the pie with the remaining crust and cut 4 to 5 slits in the crust to allow steam to escape. If preferred, create a lattice crust by cutting the top crust into 1-inch strips and weaving them over the pie. Brush the crust with milk and sprinkle with a little bit of sugar if desired.
- Place the pie on a rimmed baking sheet to catch any drippings. Bake pie on the lowest shelf in the oven for about 45 to 55 minutes or until the filling is bubbly and the crust is golden brown.
- Cool for at least 2 hours before serving.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.