Blueberry Pie is a classic dessert that has been passed down for generations. Luscious blueberries in a sweet filling are encased in a tender, flaky pie dough and baked until golden brown and bubbly. It is truly one of life’s simple pleasures.
I love all blueberry desserts from an easy and delicious Blueberry Cobbler to our favorite Blueberry Buckle and this blueberry pie definitely tops the list! We serve this a la mode, but truly Blueberry Pie is so perfect, no toppings are required!
Blueberry Pie is delicious and as easy as… well, apple pie.
Some folks avoid making pies because of the pie crust. They believe it is too difficult or that it takes way too much time. Honestly, making pie does not have to be a daunting task (this a is perfect step-by-step pie crust recipe).
You can use pre-made frozen pie crusts or find them in the refrigerator section of your local store. They taste pretty comparable to scratch and are so easy to use! If you prefer a crumb topping, like in my easy Apple Crumb Pie, you can replace the top crust with a crumb topping!
Often when baking a pie, the outer crust can brown too quickly. To avoid browning the outer edges of the crust too quickly a simple pie shield is a great way to solve this problem or you can simply cover the edges with foil.
How to make Blueberry Pie
- If using a scratch pie crust recipe, prepare it ahead of time and allow time to refrigerate. Once properly cool, it will be easier to roll out.
- Combine blueberry pie filling ingredients and toss together with the blueberries.
- Line the pie plate with your bottom crust. Fill with berry mixture.
- Roll out your second pie crust and cut it into 1″ strips. Weave the strips over the pie to create a lattice crust. (How to Make a Lattice Crust).
- Brush with milk or butter for a glossy look and sprinkle with decorator sugar for sparkle!
When the blueberry pie filling begins to bubble, you’ll know your pie is nearly done. Allow to cook until the crust is golden!
Once your Blueberry Pie is perfectly done, be sure to allow time to cool and set. Skipping this step will be disappointing as the pie won’t set up properly and will be runny (but still delicious). A perfectly presented piece of pie!
How to Make Blueberry Pie with Frozen Blueberries
While fresh berries are preferable, frozen can be a great substitute, especially in the cooler months. Here are some tips when substituting frozen for fresh blueberries:
- You do not need to defrost the berries first (but may need to add a few minutes cooking time).
- Be mindful when mixing that the berries, if thawed, will be delicate and may break.
- With frozen blueberries simply toss the frozen berries in a tablespoon or two of flour before adding to the recipe.
Keep in mind, frozen berries tend to bleed into recipes such as muffins or breads but they’re fine for pies. (In other baking such as Lemon Blueberry Loaf, rinse berries under cold water and dab dry with a paper towel).
This Blueberry Pie recipe creates one of the most delicious pies ever and is definitely a crowd pleaser!
Homemade Blueberry Pie
- 1 recipe 9" double pie crust
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 lemon zested & juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons milk or butter
- coarse sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Zest lemon.
- In a small bowl, mix sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, cinnamon and a pinch of salt. Add to blueberries and gently stir to combine.
Place one crust into the pie plate. Fill with blueberry mixture.
Top with remaining crust and cut 4-5 slits in the crust to allow steam to escape. If preferred, create a lattice crust by cutting the top crust into 1" strips and weaving them over the pie. Brush the crust with milk.
Place pie on a pan to catch any drippings. Bake pie on lowest shelf of oven for about 45-55 minutes or until filling is bubbly and crust is golden.
- Cool at least 2 hours before serving.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
More Berry Desserts You’ll Love
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pie (No Bake)
- Raspberry Cheesecake Dessert Shooters
- Easy Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- Mixed Berry Crisp
- Banana Split Stuffed Strawberries
- Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler