Apple Crisp is simple, homemade goodness from the oven! This was a dessert we had frequently when I was young and the smell of it baking in the oven brings back such happy memories
Sweet and tart cinnamon kissed apples are topped with a buttery brown sugar oat topping. I love to add crushed pecans to bring together a perfect blend of flavors and textures!
Apple Crisp is a wonderful dessert that is perfect for any occasion or any time of year! It is so easy to make and super delicious, you will definitely want to keep this recipe handy at all times!
Cobbler vs Crisp, What’s the Difference?
My mom made crisps, cobblers or apple betty all of the time. There are subtle differences to these desserts which seem to have been created due to the lack of certain ingredients at the time, such as lard for pastry, and replaced by things like rolled oats which may have been more available.
So what is the difference between a cobbler, a betty, a crumble and a crisp? While they’re baked fruit desserts the main differences lie in the toppings:
- COBBLER: A cobbler tends to have a biscuit or pie dough topping, but there are variations where the biscuit base is on the bottom of the fruit layer.
- BETTY: A betty is using breadcrumbs or cubes for the topping. This, as the breadcrumbs absorb the fruit juice as it bakes, becomes a bit more like a pudding.
- CRUMBLE: A crumble seems to be the most similar to a crisp with a combination of flour, butter, and sugar (some recipes also add oats).
- CRISP: A crisp has a topping made up of a combination of butter, sugar, spices, nuts, and oats.
How to Make Apple Crisp
While we often hear the term as easy as pie, making Apple Crisp is even quicker and easier than pie!
How to Make Apple Crisp Topping
The topping of any fruit crisp dessert is my favorite part so I always add an extra generous portion! Butter is cut into oats, brown sugar and a bit of flour to form coarse crumbs. I then stir in nuts and coconut. The topping is pretty versatile, you can add any kind of nuts (pecans or almonds are favorites) and or use all coconut if you prefer.
What Kind of Apples For Apple Crisp
I personally use peeled granny smith apples for apple crisp as they tend to hold their shape well and don’t get mushy. I love the tart flavor paired with the sweet topping and a scoop of ice cream.
If you prefer a sweeter crisp, you can use a sweeter apple or combine a couple of different varieties, honey crisp apples make great fruit crisp too!
Can you Freeze Apple Crisp? Yes! You can freeze apple crisp either before or after baking! It will keep in a deep freezer for up to 6 months and in a top freezer for 2-3 months.
Allow the crisp to thaw first before reheating, and do so in a low temperature oven till just warm. What a great way to keep a dessert handy for busy nights or if company pops by unexpectedly.
Delicious Fruit Crisp Recipes
Homemade Apple Crisp is happiness in a pan and is sure to become a favorite in your home too!
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- ¾ cup brown sugar packed
- 6 tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons butter
- ⅓ cup pecans chopped
- ¼ cup coconut
- 5 cups apples peeled and sliced
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ tablespoon flour
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a medium bowl combine rolled oats, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon.
- Blend butter into dry ingredients with a fork or pastry blender. Add pecans and coconut and combine well.
- In another bowl, mix the prepared apples with the sugar, cinnamon and flour.
- Add apples to baking dish, then sprinkle with the topping mixture
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden and apples are soft.
More Apple Recipes You’ll Love
- Homemade Apple Butter: Perfect for topping toast or muffins!
- The Best Apple Crumb Pie Ever: A classic apple pie with a delicious crumble topping.
- Apple Cheesecake Pie: The best of both worlds, a creamy cheesecake topped with a delicious apple pie filling.
- Baked Apple Pie Roll Ups (video): A quick and easy go to apple dessert.
- Creamy Apple Slaw Recipe: The perfect side for any bbq and the perfect topper for your favorite Pulled Pork Sandwiches!