In this Cabbage & Noodles recipe, simple pantry ingredients create a comforting dish in just minutes. Tender sweet cabbage, fluffy egg noodles and deliciously browned sausage are tossed with butter, salt & pepper. A perfectly comforting meal that your whole family will love!
When I was a kid, I loved veggies and now that I’m older, I love them even more. Right near the top of my list is cabbage!
Cabbage and Noodles (aka Haluskie) is an old Polish dish and it’s one of my favorites from my Grandmother! Different areas have slightly different versions, Slovak Halusky is more of a potato dumpling while other areas enjoy it as cabbage and noodles.
Regardless of what you call this dish, it’s the perfect way to enjoy the sweet flavors of cabbage and a great way to get a meal on the table on a busy weeknight!
Don’t let the simplicity of this recipe deter you from giving it a try, ingredients don’t have to be fancy to taste amazing!
When seasoning this dish, be generous with the salt & pepper, it makes this extra good! I typically use egg noodles in this dish, I love the light fluffy texture and you can use any type of sausage. If you don’t like sausage, feel free to crisp up some bacon (and sub in some of the bacon grease in place of the butter) or skip the meat altogether.
Cabbage and Noodles
- 12 oz kielbasa or sausage sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1 large onion diced
- 1/2 head cabbage chopped (approx. 6-7 cups)
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2/3 cup frozen peas
- 8 oz uncooked egg noodles
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Cook noodles according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Cook sausage until lightly browned.
- Add remaining olive oil, butter and onion. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add cabbage and garlic. Cook until tender (10-15 minutes). Stir in peas, noodles and salt & pepper. Cook 2-3 minutes or until heated through.
More Recipes You’ll Love