These Banana Cupcakes are my Grandpa’s recipe. Fluffy cupcakes are a fun and tasty handheld version of banana cake! Made from scratch, you’ll be buying extra bananas to make sure you have enough to make these (and of course banana bread & banana bars too)!
To Make Banana Cupcakes
Banana cupcakes are perfect for a family dessert, or a classroom or team party! The riper the bananas, the smoother your cupcakes will be and the sweeter banana flavor they will have. Remember to very gently fold in the beaten egg whites for the fluffiest results!
- Preheat the oven and prepare cupcake or muffin tins with pan release or paper cupcake liners.
- Beat egg whites on high until stiff peaks form, this gives the fluffiest ever cupcakes.
3. Cream together the butter, sugar, yolks, and milk. Add remaining ingredients (per recipe below) and of course mashed bananas.
4. Gently fold in the beaten egg whites until fully incorporated and scoop into prepared muffin or cupcake tins.
Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Before decorating allow to completely cool.
My Favorite Frosting for Banana Cupcakes
I love the flavor combination of banana and a rich Chocolate Buttercream Frosting! But these banana bread cupcakes are so moist, they’re great without or with frosting!
For banana cream cupcakes, cut each cupcake in half and spread cream cheese frosting between them! All the deliciousness of frosting, without any of the mess!
How Long Do They Stay Fresh?
Banana cupcakes will keep in a zippered bag or an airtight container for about a week.
They freeze great, place in a freezer bag and they’ll keep a few months!
More Cupcakes & Muffins
- Carrot Cake Cupcakes – amazing flavor & texture
- Banana Nut Crunch Muffins – incredibly moist & soft!
- Pumpkin Cupcakes – all the tastes of fall
- Blueberry Bran Muffins – hearty, wholesome & delicious!
- Easy Banana Bran Muffins – full of flavor!
Grandpa’s Banana Cupcakes
- ¾ teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup milk (just shy of ¼ cup)
- 2 eggs separated
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 3 ripe bananas mashed
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Add lemon juice to bottom of measuring cup. Add enough milk* to make ¼ cup (of lemon juice and milk) and set aside.
- Beat egg whites on high until stiff peaks form and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream together butter and sugar with mixer.
- Add in yolks and milk mixture.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt. Slowly add to butter mixture.
- Stir in bananas. Then gently fold in egg white mixture.
- Pour muffin mixture into lined (or greased) muffin tin.
- Bake for 17-20 min or until cupcakes spring back when lightly touched.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!