These cupcakes are a piece of my childhood… something we always had at Grandma and Grandpa’s! I can remember the smell of the kitchen when my mom would make these… and just how much I loved them!
Below is the actual recipe, which was a cake… and this was typed out by my Grandpa so many years ago on his typewriter. Grandpa is gone now, but this is something that always reminds me of him. He was such an amazing Grandpa to all of us grandkids (12 of us including cousins) so this is an extra special recipe that I am excited to share with all of you!
These are great topped with my Nutella Frosting like in the photo or with a lemon cream cheese frosting!
Grandpa Z’s Banana Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 eggs , separated
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 3 ripe bananas , mashed
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add lemon juice to 1/2 cup measuring cup. Top to 1/2 cup with milk, stir and set aside.
- Beat egg whites on high until stiff peaks form and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream together butter and sugar.
- Add in yolks and 4 tablespoons of the milk mixture (you can discard the rest).
- Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt. Slowly add to butter mixture.
- Stir in bananas.
- Gently fold in egg white mixture.
- Bake for 17-20 min or until cupcakes spring back when lightly touched.
- Allow to cool and frost with Nutella Frosting
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)