Homemade chocolate frosting is perfect for cake, cupcakes, or even dipping fresh strawberries.
This recipe uses ingredients you likely have on hand for a smooth fluffy frosting that looks and tastes great!
Chocolate: The chocolate flavor comes from both cocoa powder and melted chocolate.
Sugar: This recipe uses granulated sugar and since it’s cooked in the base, its dissolved completely for a smooth fluffy frosting.
Milk & Flour: These two ingredients are cooked with cocoa powder and sugar to make the base.
Butter: Butter makes the frosting fluffy, rich, and spreadable Use unsalted butter for the best results.
Variations: Swap the vanilla for a little bit of almond or brandy extract.
How to Make Chocolate Frosting
- Whisk sugar, cocoa, flour, and milk in a saucepan (per the recipe below).
- Bring to a boil to thicken and cool completely.
- Cream butter until fluffy. Beat in the cooled cocoa mixture and melted chocolate.
- Whip until frosting is light & fluffy.
Tips for Perfection
- Whisk the dry ingredients into cold milk for best results.
- Use unsalted butter and add your own salt.
- Ensure the cocoa mixture is completely cooled so it doesn’t melt the butter.
- A stand mixer works best for this recipe as it needs to whip for a long time.
- Ensure the cake is completely cooled before frosting.
To Make Ahead
- Creamy chocolate frosting can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator in a covered container. To use, remove from the refrigerator and let come to room temperature. If needed, beat until the frosting is smooth and creamy again.
- Chocolate buttercream frosting freezes easily in a zippered bag for up to 3 months. Simply allow it to come to room temperature and beat in a bowl until fluffy.
Ways to Use Chocolate Frosting
- Yellow Cake – a classic fave
- Best Ever Chocolate Cake – a 5 star recipe
- Chocolate Banana Cake – moist & decadent
- Chocolate Poke Cake – made from scratch
- Texas Sheet Cake – perfect for a crowd
- Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes – a kid favorite
Did you love this Creamy Chocolate Frosting? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Fluffy Homemade Chocolate Frosting
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons all purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- 1 ½ cups butter unsalted
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a small saucepan (off of the stove), whisk sugar, flour and cocoa powder. Whisk in milk.
- Place the sauce pan on the stove over medium heat and whisk until the mixture begins to bubble and thicken, about 5 minutes. Let boil 30 seconds.
- Remove from the heat and pour the mixture into a bowl to cool. Place plastic wrap over the mixture allowing the wrap to rest on the surface of the chocolate. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Place the chocolate in a small bowl and place in the microwave at 50% power. Heat, stirring occasionally just until melted. Set aside to cool.
- Cream butter with a hand mixer until fluffy. Add the cooled cocoa mixture a little bit at a time until incorporated. Add in the melted chocolate, vanilla and salt.
- Mix on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 6 to 8 minutes.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)