There is a trick to making ribs perfectly tender… time!
The key to making these ribs melt-in-your-mouth-fall-off-the-bone tender is slow roasting them in the oven. I know many people boil their ribs.. I am very anti-boil… I just think it “waters down” the ribs and takes away the flavor! After the initial 2 hours, if your ribs aren’t quite tender enough, leave them a little longer… these need TIME!! Back ribs are the best you can get and, while they cost a couple of dollars more, they are totally worth the splurge!
I love my ribs with barbecue sauce but my husband loves salt and pepper ribs, so we always do up some of each! For Salt and Pepper Ribs, before grilling, brush ribs with olive oil and generously sprinkle with salt and course pepper and grill as usual!
Melt in Your Mouth BBQ Ribs!
- 1 Package Back Ribs (side ribs will work but will take longer to cook)
- 2 Large Onions
- 4 cloves Garlic , sliced
- Olive Oil , Salt & Pepper (see note below) OR BBQ Sauce Below (or both!)
- 1 tablespoon Paprika
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon lemon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
Amazing Rib BBQ Sauce
- ½ cup ketchup
- ½ cup Chili Sauce
- ½ cup your favorite BBQ Sauce
- Mix together Rib Rub ingredients.
- Remove the white membrane from the back side of the ribs (the side with less meat). It should pull off easily. Rinse ribs under cold water and blot dry with paper towels.
- Massage Rib Rub into ribs. Place ribs on a foil lined tray and cover with sliced onion and garlic.
- Cover & seal with another piece of foil.
- Bake ribs at 275 for 2 hours… open the corner and make sure they are tender. If not, bake another 20 minutes and check again.
- Meanwhile, combine Rib BBQ Sauce ingredients together.
- Remove ribs and discard juices, onions & garlic. Brush ribs with olive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper OR brush generously with BBQ sauce.
- Grill 5-10 minutes or until lightly charred.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!