Fresh cod fillets are a delicious and easy dinner!
Cod fillets or loins are oven-baked over a layer of fresh lemon slices and infused with lemon pepper and garlic butter.
Serve as a light lunch or supper along with a side of rice and some fresh vegetables or a side salad.
Best Lemon Cod Recipe
- Codfish is so versatile, it can be cooked in a variety of ways. Air fryer, oven-baked, or even grilled.
- This dish goes from prep to table in less than 20 minutes!
- Cod is affordable, use fresh or frozen fillets, whatever is on hand. If you don’t have cod, use your favorite white fish.
- This is the best recipe for foolproof and flavorful fish every time!
Ingredients & Variations
FISH: Fresh or frozen cod is easy to find and affordable. We love cod loins in this recipe as they’re a bit thicker but cod filets are great too.
Other white fishes to use are tilapia, haddock, hake, or sea bass.
SEASONINGS: We prefer melted butter over olive oil in this recipe for its flavor. Garlic adds a savory flavor to baked cod and lemon pepper gives it a bright flavor along with the lemon juice.
Use fresh lemon juice, you’ll need a lemon for slices as well so one whole lemon should do it!
Use a little bit of lemon zest from the lemon to make homemade lemon pepper if you’d like! We prefer homemade as I find store-bought lemon pepper a bit too salty!
PRO TIP: Always thaw frozen fish in the refrigerator, not on the counter.
How to Bake Cod
This baked cod recipe is simple to make.
- Prepare lemon slices for the baking dish & squeeze enough juice to equal 1 tablespoon.
- Season cod fillets with lemon pepper & place them on lemon slices.
- Drizzle with garlic butter. Bake at 400 degrees F until flesh is opaque and it flakes easily.
PRO TIP: Use a cake tester or fork to lightly test for doneness.
Tips for the Best Fish Fillets
Be sure to dab the cod dry after it thaws in the fridge as frozen filets will release a bit of water.
The key to perfectly flaky and tender fish fillets is to avoid overbaking them. Fish will continue to cook once it’s been removed from the oven.
Serve Baked Cod With…
This fish is great served with a glass of pinot grigio or other crisp white wines.
How to Store Leftovers
Keep leftover baked cod fillets in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Add to omelets, soups, or stews. Reheat in a saucepan with a little water and cover until steamed through.
Fave Fish Fillets
- Parmesan Crusted Tilapia – ready in 20 minutes
- Teriyaki Salmon – a one-pan recipe
- Grilled Mahi Mahi – with mango salsa
- Blackened Tilapia – so flavorful
- Honey Glazed Salmon – use fresh or frozen fillets
Did you make this Lemon Garlic Butter Baked Cod? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Lemon Garlic Butter Baked Cod
- 1 lemon
- ¼ cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 clove garlic minced, or ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried dill weed
- 4 cod loins or filets, 4-5 oz each
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Slice half of the lemon. Juice the other half, you will need 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Lay lemon slices in a casserole dish.
- Whisk together butter, garlic, and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Pat cod filets or loins dry with a paper towel. Sprinkle cod with lemon pepper & dill weed and place over lemon slices.
- Pour garlic butter mixture over the cod. Bake 15-20 minutes or just until opaque and the fish flakes easily. Do not overcook.
- Sprinkle parsley over top and spoon butter over to serve.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!