Parmesan Crusted Tilapia is a light, crisp and delicately flavored dish that takes less than 20 minutes to make. This family favorite recipe is super easy, and uber flavorful!
Parmesan Crusted Tilapia Recipe
There is nothing better than a quick weeknight meal on a busy weeknight. This easy easy tilapia recipe hits the mark on both counts! Tender tilapia fillets are dipped in an egg mixture, coated with parmesan seasoned panko crumbs and pan-fried till golden brown.
This Parmesan Crusted Tilapia recipe will conquer the “same old thing for dinner” blues! While I’ve used tilapia in this recipe, the simple and crispy crust is a delicious way to serve any type of white fish!
Swap Any White Fish
If you don’t have tilapia on hand, this easy recipe works with any white fish. If the filet is thicker you may need to add an extra minute or two to ensure it’s cooked to perfection.
What is Tilapia?
Tilapia is a white fish, similar in taste and texture to cod however, the texture of tilapia is a bit more firm. Tilapia will flake when cooked and is very versatile for many recipes from Easy Fish Tacos to Blackened Fish and our all-time favorite, Parmesan Broiled Tilapia. Tilapia is a freshwater farmed fish grown in many countries around the world, including the US and Canada.
Fish is good for you, it is a great way to add variety to your table and it takes just minutes to prepare.
How to Make Parmesan Crusted Fish
Tilapia can be baked, broiled, fried or poached. I love the simplicity of Baked Tilapia but I love the crust and flavor of Parmesan Crusted Chicken so putting the two together is the perfect quick meal mashup!
How to Cook Tilapia
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Prep fish per recipe below.
- Add fish and fry for about 3 minutes per side or just until cooked through.
- Keep warm on a low oven (250°F) if cooking in batches.
- Serve warm with coleslaw and Dill Pickle Tartar Sauce.
For all methods, it is a good idea to use a meat thermometer to check for doneness (145°F). The fish will flake easily when it is done.
TIP: The breading is fairly light. To ensure it doesn’t fall off, allow the fish to rest for a minute or two before serving it.
More Easy Seafood Recipes
- Creamy Seafood Chowder – So comforting!
- Skillet Shrimp Fajitas
- Baked Fish Nuggets – kid-friendly
- Herb Crusted Baked Salmon – Favorite recipe!
- Asparagus Salmon Foil Packets
- Baked Lemon Butter Salmon Pasta Popular!
- Easy Shrimp Scampi – Quick!!
Crispy Parmesan Tilapia
- 6 tilapia fillets defrosted if frozen
- 2 eggs
- 4 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- lemon slices for serving
- 1 1/2 cups Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1 cup cornflake crumbs
- 1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt & pepper
- In a small bowl, combine eggs, dijon mustard & water. Mix well and set aside. In a separate dish, combine all of the coating ingredients.
- Dip each tilapia fillet into the egg mixture and then into the crumb mixture. Be sure to press the crumbs into the fish and make sure it's completely coated.
- Once all of the fillets are coated, preheat butter and olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Place the coated fish fillets in the skillet, and cover with a lid. Cook for 3 minutes. Flip the fish, cover again and cook an additional 3 minutes.
- Serve with fresh lemon slices.