Instant Pot Beef Stew is unbelievably easy and delicious! Tender beef chunks and hearty veggies like potatoes, carrots, and onions are set to cook in the pressure cooker to create an effortless stew.
Serve this easy stew alongside 30 minute dinner rolls for the perfect comforting pressure cooker dinner that everyone will love!
Instant Pot Cooking is Easy!
If you’re new to pressure cooking (and the Instant Pot), it’s going to be life changing for you! It’s so easy to use and cooks meals in minutes in just one pot (including browning meat and cooking). Win-win! If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can find them online here!
This is an easy beef stew recipe, and it’s made even easier by pressure cooking in the Instant Pot! We make homemade beef stew often but if you don’t have time to simmer it to perfection, not to worry. Just pull out your Instant Pot, and you’ll have that stick-to-your ribs dinner on the table in no time flat!
How To Make Instant Pot Stew
To make this instant pot beef stew recipe:
- Chop up the veggies.
- Turn the Instant Pot on to sauté and brown the stew beef chunks on all sides.
- Add the rest of the beef stew ingredients and turn the pressure cooker on.
- When cooking cycle ends, depressurize your Instant Pot and add the cornstarch slurry to thicken.
Instant Pot Beef Stew Ingredients
- Choose the Right Meat:
- When it comes to pressure cooker beef stew, there is
no better cut of meat than chuck. Buy a thick chuck pot roast and cut it into chunks. If you can’t find chuck, regular stewing beef will work just fine!
- Sear the Meat:
- Start this easy Instant Pot Beef Stew recipe off right by searing the meat in batches. If you crowd the pan, you’ll get too much juice and the meat won’t brown properly. The bottom of your pan should have a nice glaze on it which adds a delicious richness to the broth.
- Deglaze the Instant Pot:
- Deglaze once the beef has a nice crust on it! Simply add broth/wine and scrape any goodies off the bottom of the pan.
- Add the Vegetables:
- Stay away from delicate veggies. Any veggie you’d use to make roasted root vegetables would also be great in the pressure cooker (like potatoes and carrots) as they don’t fall apart.
How Long to Cook Beef Stew in the Instant Pot
This pressure cooker beef stew recipe starts with searing the beef to get a good crust on it (don’t skip this part). This will take about 10-15 minutes or so (in 2 batches).
The stew cooks for 35 minutes in the Instant Pot but keep in mind, that’s the cooking time only. It will take about 10-15 minutes to get up to pressure and it will natural release for about 15 minutes.
Overall, you can expect this Instant Pot Beef Stew to take about 90 minutes start to finish, but don’t worry, most of the time is hands off.
What to Serve with Instant Pot Stew
Beef stew is practically a complete meat-and-potatoes meal in itself, no need to fuss with side dishes.
Serve it with dinner rolls, biscuits or corn bread slathered with butter. I also love adding a side caesar salad for a nice light crunch alongside the hearty stew.
Can You Freeze Beef Stew?
Yes you sure can! This beef stew recipe is so yummy, you might not have any leftovers. If you do, you’ll be happy to know it freezes easily.
To serve a quick beef stew dinner, no need to pre-thaw. Just empty the frozen block into a pot on low heat, and you’ll have dinner on the table again in no time!
More Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese – Reader favorite (and so easy)!!
- Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs – Easy for snacks, salads and sandwiches!
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Chicken Tacos – Great for salads or tacos
- Instant Pot Ribs – Melt in your mouth good!!
Instant Pot Beef Stew
- 2 pounds stewing beef trimmed and cubed
- ½ teaspoon each garlic powder salt and pepper
- 1 large onion diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 cup red wine or 1 more cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary chopped
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 4 large carrots chopped
- 3 cups baby potatoes cubed
- 2 stalks celery chopped, about 1 cup
- 3/4 cup peas defrosted
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- Toss beef with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Turn a 6-quart Instant Pot to sauté and add half of the olive olive oil. Brown half of the beef, about 3-5 minutes, don’t stir too much so you get a nice crust. Repeat with remaining beef.
- Add broth, tomato paste, rosemary, thyme, wine and vegetables (ensure ingredients do not go above fill line). Secure lid and select Meat/Stew; cook on high pressure 35 minutes.
- Once the timer beeps, allow for a natural-release for about 15 minutes. Release any remaining pressure.
- Remove lid and turn to sauté bringing broth to a boil.
- Create a slurry by combining cornstarch and water in a small bowl or cup.
- Once the broth is simmering, stir in the cornstarch to reach desired consistency (you may not need all of it). Allow to simmer 2-3 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in peas and serve.