Mashed potatoes are a staple at any meal and especially around the holidays. If you’re like us, you load up and make extra so you have enough for a few days!
They’re easy to reheat and come out just like you whipped up a new batch!
How to Reheat Mashed Potatoes
Regardless of which method you choose, you’ll want to add a bit of milk or cream (or even broth!) to the top of the potatoes as they reheat and then stir it in before serving. This keeps them from getting dry on top.
You’ll also want to make sure you heat them slowly so they keep their creamy consistency.
Once heated, sprinkle some seasonings or even fresh herbs on top before serving.
While we love the microwave for reheating many sides, if you have lots of mashed potatoes, it can be less than ideal. That being said, we do turn to the microwave since it’s quick!
To reheat mashed potatoes in the microwave, pour a little bit of milk on top and reheat at 70-80% power for about 3 minutes for every 1 1/2 cups of potatoes. Stir them every minute. Depending on the wattage of the microwave and the shape of your dish, this can vary so check them early.
Reheating in the oven makes them just like new but it takes a lot more time. We bake them at 350°F for about 20-25 minutes (with a splash of milk on top). Give them a stir and make sure they’re hot. If you have a really full pan, they might need a little bit more time.
3. Stove Top
A pot on the stove is an easy way to reheat mashed potatoes too. Cook over medium low heat with some milk stirring occasionally. Be sure to use low heat and a non-stick pan.
4. Frying Pan
This is a brunch favorite! Heat some oil in a pan and add the potatoes and press them into a thin layer. Let them cook undisturbed for about 5-7 minutes. Stir and continue letting them cook until heated through.
This method produces a mashed potato with a little bit of a crisp to it and we can’t get enough! Add in your other leftovers to make a bubble and squeak or top them with poached eggs.
Leftover Mashed Potato Recipes
- Loaded Mashed Potato Cakes
- Put them in a waffle iron until crispy
- Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
- Mashed Potato Salad
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- Baked Potato Soup
Mashed Potato Recipes
We love classic mashed potatoes (of course!) but depending on what we’re serving, we love all kinds of variations! Here are some of our favorites:
- The BEST Mashed Potatoes – classic and creamy
- Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes – these are extra rich and go well with meatloaf
- Garlic Ranch Mashed Potatoes – we love to pair these with pork chops
- Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes – garlic mashed potatoes go with almost everything!
- Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes – perfect for any low carb meal (and great with Salisbury steak)
- Horseradish Mashed Potatoes– these zippy mashed potatoes are great served with beef
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes – these sweet spuds pair well with turkey dinner of course or even a roast turkey breast.
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- No Boil Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
How to Reheat Mashed Potatoes
- 2 cup leftover mashed potatoes
- ¼ cup milk
- Place leftover mashed potatoes in a medium pot with about ¼ cup milk per 2 cups potatoes.
- Cook over medium low heat while stirring.
- Season with salt and pepper and top with butter if desired.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)