Twice Baked Potato Casserole is the ultimate comfort food recipe! Perfect Baked Potatoes are scooped out and mashed to create super creamy Mashed Potatoes… we then add in our favorite potato toppings including crispy bacon, cheddar cheese, sour cream and green onions.
This casserole is super easy and one of our all time favorite sides!
Cheesy Potato Casserole
We love all forms of potatoes in our house…. from Oven Roasted Potatoes to Loaded Baked Potatoes, to our favorite Potatoes Au Gratin! And of course, good ol’ Twice Baked Potatoes. I mean really, how can you go wrong with potatoes loaded with bacon and cheese? Am I right?!
This Twice Baked Potato Casserole takes all of those favorite twice baked flavors and bakes them into a creamy cheesy potato casserole!
How to Make Baked Potato Casserole
The great thing about this recipe is that it’s very versatile! You can use leftover potatoes or even make Crock Pot Baked Potatoes. If you’re in a rush you can also boil the potatoes with a couple of cloves of garlic. So easy!
Once the potatoes are baked or boiled, we mash them with butter and sour cream. Finally add in all of our favorite potato toppers including cheddar, bacon and onions. You can add anything you’d like to this recipe… change out the cheeses, stir in some roasted garlic or leftover chicken. The possibilities are endless.
Make Ahead Twice Baked Potato Casserole
Here’s the great thing about this dish, it can be made up to 2 days in advance. This makes it the perfect dish to serve for the holidays and of course it bakes up nice and bubbly!
More Potato Recipes You’ll Love
- Baked Potato Soup – Like a hug in a bowl
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Potatoes Au Gratin – Creamy and cheesy!
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Colcannon Recipe (Cabbage and Potatoes) – Favorite recipe (with bacon)
Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- 6 medium baked potatoes or boiled potatoes (see below)
- ¼ cup butter
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- ½ cup milk or cream (add more or less to taste)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 10 slices bacon cooked & crumbled
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 green onion sliced
- 2 slices bacon cooked & crumbled
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Mash warm baked potatoes or boiled potatoes with a potato masher. Add butter, cream cheese and sour cream. Mash while adding milk/cream a little at a time until to reach a creamy consistency.
- Stir in remaining ingredients (except toppings) and spread into a 2 quart casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with toppings and bake for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted and potatoes are hot.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
REPIN this Easy and Delicious Casserole
Tried it last night and we loved it.
Love the recipe, but I just kind of stir and chop the potatoes with a spoon so they are more like eating a baked potato than mashed.
This recipe is OMG sinful! It will be a go-to for special occasions.
I’ve got mine in the oven now! I make it every couple of months – so yummy! Serving along side buffalo chicken wings and a salad.
I also would like to make it in our crockpot. Do the potatoes need to be cooked first?
Yes, the recipe should be prepared up to step 3. and spread into a slow cooker instead of a casserole dish. You may need to double the recipe depending on the size of your slow cooker.
Holly you were right! Thanks! I didn’t have oven space today for our family holiday so I made this in my 9×13 crockpot and it was amazing as usual. 3 hours on low.
So glad it worked out for you Wendy!