Making a milkshake is the perfect treat any time of year! Made with ice cream, chocolate sauce or your favorite add ins (like strawberries) and milk, this dessert couldn’t be easier!
September 12th is National Chocolate Milkshake Day so let’s celebrate with a simple 3 ingredient milkshake.
How to Make a Milkshake
Making a milkshake is honestly as simple as blending 3 ingredients! A generous portion of ice cream, a splash of milk and some flavoring.
The best ice cream is to use is full cream, full-fat ice cream because that’s where the flavor is! It is thicker, richer, and holds up better in the blender and when mixed with other ingredients because it has more air whipped into it.
To make a milkshake without a blender, you can simply add the ingredients to a bowl and mix until smooth. This takes a bit longer but still tastes great!
How to Make Thick Milkshakes
There is nothing better than a good thick milkshake…otherwise, it’s really just chocolate milk, isn’t it? To make a thick and creamy milkshake every time follow these simple tips.
- Start by using real ice cream (and choose full-fat.)
- Add just enough milk to blend until smooth.
- For an even thicker shake, substitute real heavy whipping cream for milk.
Make sure you’re ready to serve before getting started or assembling the ingredients. Once blended milkshakes start to melt quickly. You can also put your milkshake glasses in the freezer to get chilled which will help to keep the ice cream frozen a bit longer!
The Best Milkshake Toppings
This is the fun part! If you are making chocolate milkshakes for a crowd, put out a selection of toppings so your guests can build their own! These are my favorite ideas:
- Cookies: Crushed cookie crumbs (Oreos, nutter butters, chocolate chip)
- Sauces: Caramel, strawberry, blueberry, hot fudge, pineapple, peanut butter
- Nuts: toasted peanuts, slivered almonds, crushed pecans
- Fruit: strawberries, blueberries, cherries, bananas
- Candies: gummies, sprinkles, licorice whips, nonpareils, skittles, chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, crushed peppermint candies.
More Fun Ice Cream Desserts
- No-Churn Ice Cream – made with 3 ingredient
- Banana Split – perfect at-home dessert!
- Mint Oreo Fudge Ice Cream Cake – easy, delicious & gorgeous
- York Minis Ice Cream Cupcakes – with peppermint pattie fudge sauce!
How to Make a Milkshake
- ⅔ cup milk
- 2 cups ice cream use chocolate ice cream for a chocolate shake
- 3 tablespoons chocolate syrup or mix ins of your choice
- whipped cream for topping optional
- Combine milk, chocolate syrup and chocolate ice cream in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour into cups and garnish with whipped cream and sprinkles if desired.
- Serve immediately.