A savory strata is the perfect make ahead meal! Combine bread cubes with some add-ins and cheeses. Toss with a quick egg mixture and refrigerate overnight.
While the mixture sits overnight, it soaks up the egg mixture and is ready to be baked in the morning. A great meal for a lazy morning or when you have guests!
What is a Strata?
Bread is cubed and tossed with flavorful ingredients (in this case brie and mushrooms). It’s tossed with egg/milk mixture and sits overnight. As it sits, the bread soaks in the mixture and in the morning it is baked until puffy and set.
Frittata vs. Strata
A frittata and a strata are both essentially breakfast casseroles. A strata has a more soufflé-like appearance while a frittata is more similar to a baked omelet.
A strata often includes bread cubes while fritattas can have potatoes or even pasta along with the add-ins.
How to Make a Strata
- Cook veggies or meats (such as mushrooms, sausage or bacon). Cool.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg mixture (per recipe below).
- Toss the egg mixture with bread cubes and let it soak in a few minutes.
- Stir in add ins, herbs and cheeses.
- Spread into a baking dish and cover. Refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the fridge while the oven preheats. Bake until set in the middle.
PRO TIP: Letting the strata set overnight ensures the egg mixture is completely soaked into the bread cubes so it puffs up almost like a soufflé.
Best Breakfast Dishes
- Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole
- Homemade Eggs Benedict – with homemade hollandaise sauce
- Fluffy Homemade Waffle Recipe
- Quick and Easy French Toast
- The Best Fluffy Pumpkin Pancakes
- Cranberry Breakfast Bread Pudding
- Our Favorite Shakshuka – breakfast or dinner
- Dutch Baby
- Cheesy Breakfast Pizza – with eggs & breakfast sausage
- Easter Breakfast Bake
Did you love this Mushroom Brie Strata? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
How to Make a Breakfast Strata
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms or 1 ½ cups vegetables of your choice, asparagus is another favorite
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or ⅛ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 6 cups bread cubes slightly dried
- 1 cup Havarti shredded, or mozzarella
- 4 ounces brie cheese cubed
- 4 eggs
- 1 ¼ cups milk
- ½ cup light cream or half and half
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- Cook mushrooms and garlic in olive oil over medium heat until tender. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk the egg mixture in a large bowl. Season with salt & pepper. Add bread and toss to combine. Let sit 5 minutes and toss again until the liquid is absorbed. Stir in mushrooms, brie and ½ of the Havarti cheese.
- Add the mixture to a greased 2 qt baking dish (or 9x9 pan). Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes. Uncover, top with remaining cheese and bake an additional 15-20 minutes or until set in the middle.
- Rest 10 minutes before cutting.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)