Shakshuka is an easy breakfast dish with eggs baked in a deliciously seasoned red pepper tomato sauce.
Serve with toast for dipping for the perfect meal any day of the week.
What is Shakshuka?
A simple sauce of red peppers, onions, and tomatoes is seasoned with some of our favorite spices and cooked until thickened. Wells are created in the sauce and filled with eggs which are baked just until set (with jammy yolks). Absolute perfection.
There are many versions of Shakshuka and this one is based on a favorite at a local eatery (and slightly adapted from a favorite cookbook). Shakshuka means “all mixed up” and honestly a breakfast favorite around here.
We love this basic recipe. Poached eggs in a rich tomato sauce with bell peppers. A variety of seasonings give shakshuka its signature flavor.
VEGGIE SAUCE Tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, and garlic are all poached to heavenly goodness in the sauce. Canned tomatoes are not only easy but they have a rich zesty flavor that adds to the sauce.
About the tomatoes: I prefer the texture of whole canned tomatoes over diced, the sauce seems to thicken a bit better although either will work. If you have fresh tomatoes, they can be peeled and added in as well.
TOPPINGS Once baked, sprinkle with your favorite toppings from feta cheese, to fresh herbs or chives or green onions, and top with a scoop or two of sour cream!
Serve over roast potatoes or with toast for dipping and sopping up all of the sauce.
Kitchen Tip To break up the tomatoes you will literally take them from the can one by one and give them a good squish apart with your hands (over a bowl… they’ll be juicy!). You want them broken up but not pulverized.
How to Make Shakshuka
Shakshuka is super easy to make, and comes together in 1,2,3!
- Sauté onion and garlic in oil until fragrant, add peppers and cook until tender.
- Add seasonings and tomatoes and simmer.
- Create small wells for each egg with the back of a wooden spoon. Gently place an egg in each well and bake until set. Garnish and serve!
While the sauce is simmering toss some potatoes in the air fryer for an easy meal!
More Egg Faves
- Sweet Potato Hash
- Homemade Eggs Benedict
- Easy Baked Eggs
- Instant Pot Egg Bites
- Denver Egg Casserole
- How to Make a Frittata
Did you make this Shakshuka recipe? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!
Our Favorite Shakshuka
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 small red bell peppers diced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
- salt & pepper to taste
- 28 ounces whole tomatoes canned, with juices
- 6 eggs
- freshly chopped cilantro for serving
- Crush tomatoes with your hands until they're broken up, set aside.
- In a 10" skillet, cook onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add bell pepper and cook an additional 6-7 minutes or until very soft.
- Add seasonings and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes and simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Use the back of a spoon to gently create wells for the eggs. Crack an egg into each well.
- Turn the skillet down to simmer, cover and gently simmer 4-6 minutes or just until eggs are set.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve with toast.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Recipe Adapted BHG. “Shakshuka”. Recipe. Des Moines, IA, 2018. 206. Print.